Spruce Top Tele - I call her Plain Jane - Scartozi Bridge (DR6)

deajo

Hey guys,

I was surprised when I pulled the body out of the box and saw a one piece mahoghany body.  It is much more red and has more character than my other mahoghany guitars as well.  A fine piece.

I used a custom milled Scartozi bridge (by our own DR6) on another project I am working on (first attempt at finishing and not progressing very fast right now).  I really liked how the bridge turned out and it kind of inspired this build.

I am going to do something different with the wiring this time.  I will drill an additional output.  One for the EMG's and another for the Piezo bridge I am having custom milled.  I have two other guitars with piezo bridges and both are wired to a stereo output.  It just doesn't work for me.  I won't be switching from the EMG's to the Piezo bridge very often.  It will be either / or (not both) for most of the songs I am performing anyways.

I have always wanted a guitar with EMG's.  I have played them before.  They have their own "thing" going on.  I got an EMG - 81X for the bridge and an EMG - HAX (more of a single coil flavour) for the neck.  I think it will really suit the build and keep the nice clean look I am going for.  A happy coincidence that the Ghost Piezo saddles and EMG's are nearly identical in colour / texture.  Both pickups with be wood mounted (no pickup rings)...nice and clean.

Hey Doug (DR6), how's my new bridge coming along (kidding, no hurry fella).

Body
Wood: Spruce on Mahogany
Rout: Rear Rout
Controls: X-X-X-X-Upper Tog (LP®)
Bridge: Vintage Strat® Flat Mount
Contours: Contoured Heel / Tummy Cut / Forearm Contour
Battery Box: Double Battery Box (Piezo & EMG's)

Neck
Construction: Pro Conversion 24-3/4"
Neck Wood: Mahogany
Fingerboard Wood: Ebony (Black)
Nut Width: 1-11/16"
Back Shape: 59 roundback
Fret Size: SS6150 (Stainless)
Radius: Straight 12"
Fret #: 22
Pre-Cut Installed String Nut: GraphTech Black TUSQ XL - Standard Nut
Inlays: No Inlay

][url=https://flic.kr/p/rLsU9n]IMG_20150410_080052_hdr by orldea, on Flickr[/url]

][url=https://flic.kr/p/r6UZk1]IMG_20150410_080012_hdr by orldea, on Flickr[/url]

][url=https://flic.kr/p/r77MBB]IMG_20150410_080120_hdr by orldea, on Flickr[/url]

][url=https://flic.kr/p/r6V3tL]IMG_20150410_080216_hdr by orldea, on Flickr[/url]

][url=https://flic.kr/p/rJAgAr]IMG_20150410_080244_hdr by orldea, on Flickr[/url]

][url=https://flic.kr/p/s1CdxG]IMG_20150410_080352_hdr by orldea, on Flickr[/url]

][url=https://flic.kr/p/rLjP3A]IMG_20150410_080336_hdr by orldea, on Flickr[/url]

][url=https://flic.kr/p/s3VfGV]IMG_20150410_080654 by orldea, on Flickr[/url]

][url=https://flic.kr/p/r6UYyG]IMG_20150410_080718 by orldea, on Flickr[/url]

Cheers, John

Stoked for this build -she's a beaut!

Just noticed the double battery box route.  I've got a build in progress and am going with a piezo saddle rig, as well, but am leaning towards the LR Baggs Control-X as the onboard preamp and RMC saddles (Stp/TOM). 

Hurry up and post more pics.  :headbang:

I'm looking forward to more progress pics on this as well. Nice choices all around. This is gonna be a great guitar. Good to see another Scartozi bridge implemented. Interesting that you'll have separate outputs for the piezos vs. magnetics. I have a combo setup in process where I'm gonna use the stereo out, and am curious as to why you're moving away from that. Not having done it before, I'm just winging it. Do they not mix well? I know I have a couple guitars with single/humbucker pickup arrangements that are that way. The pups sound great on their own, but don't mix worth spit.

Cagey,

Not that this is my answer to give, but I'm going stereo jack with the Control-X.  The Ghost system sounds great, but the preamp purportedly doesn't do the best of jobs with isolating the mag/piezo signals, so people can hear a degradation in tone when using mags.  This would be eliminated through the use of two separate jacks. 

No plans of bi-amping/splitting the signal at the pedalboard unless I started having regular shows that called for this tone. 

For electric sets, I'd blend in enough piezo to add some sparkle as needed.  For acoustic sets, I'd run it though a DI into the board. 

The worst case scenario would occur in a church scenario, where the acoustic dude fails to show up or breaks a string and I have to pickup (bazinga!) where he leaves off.

fdesalvo said:

Just noticed the double battery box route.  I've got a build in progress and am going with a piezo saddle rig, as well, but am leaning towards the LR Baggs Control-X as the onboard preamp and RMC saddles (Stp/TOM). 

I have the LR Baggs system (with X Bridge) on two of my favorite guitars.  A great system.  It is the only piezo bridge I have ever used.  I just had to see what else is out there...lol.  Alot of people rave about the Ghost systems and they are the only saddles that I can see working with the bridge I am having made for me.  I took the pics this morning.  It is warm up here in Toronto, Canada this morning...but cloudy.  I think I have a few more pics I can throw in.  I will take better pics on the next sunny day (wouldn't you know it, the sun just came out).

You are firing me all up!

deajo said:
fdesalvo said:

I have the LR Baggs system (with X Bridge) on two of my favorite guitars.  A great system.  It is the only piezo bridge I have ever used.  I just had to see what else is out there...lol.  Alot of people rave about the Ghost systems and they are the only saddles that I can see working with the bridge I am having made for me.  I took the pics this morning.  It is warm up here in Toronto, Canada this morning...but cloudy.  I think I have a few more pics I can throw in.  I will take better pics on the next sunny day (wouldn't you know it, the sun just came out).

Cagey said:
I'm looking forward to more progress pics on this as well. Nice choices all around. This is gonna be a great guitar. Good to see another Scartozi bridge implemented. Interesting that you'll have separate outputs for the piezos vs. magnetics. I have a combo setup in process where I'm gonna use the stereo out, and am curious as to why you're moving away from that. Not having done it before, I'm just winging it. Do they not mix well? I know I have a couple guitars with single/humbucker pickup arrangements that are that way. The pups sound great on their own, but don't mix worth spit.

Honestly, I never found a use for the "blend" sound.  I know it's a big feature for some people.  I never used it.  The stuff I am playing is going to be an acoustic song or an electric song.  My singer plays an acoustic guitar, so that tone is already there in all of our songs.  I can still run two cables out of the guitar and run one direct to the PA (through a DI box, for the acoustic) and the other direct to my Peavey 6505 for the mag pickups.  No messing with the One Male to Two Female adapter chord that you have to use with the stereo output.  I really just don't trust that many connections that close to the guitar body.  If I step on the chord, I could unplug one of the chords.  Piece of mind...now I can run one (or both cables over around the strap and not worry about it.

I will let you know how it turns out.  I like simple.  Two volume knobs (one for peizo, one for EMG's).  No tone knobs.  A three way toggle switch for the EMG's and that's it.  I found I was always checking the blend knob on my other two guitars to make sure it was on 10 all the time (I do the same for tone knobs...lol) that I just cut them out of the equation this time.

fdesalvo said:
Cagey,

Not that this is my answer to give, but I'm going stereo jack with the Control-X.  The Ghost system sounds great, but the preamp purportedly doesn't do the best of jobs with isolating the mag/piezo signals, so people can hear a degradation in tone when using mags.  This would be eliminated through the use of two separate jacks.

Bingo!

fdesalvo said:
No plans of bi-amping/splitting the signal at the pedalboard unless I started having regular shows that called for this tone. 

For electric sets, I'd blend in enough piezo to add some sparkle as needed.  For acoustic sets, I'd run it though a DI into the board. 

The worst case scenario would occur in a church scenario, where the acoustic dude fails to show up or breaks a string and I have to pickup (bazinga!) where he leaves off.

I have two guitars set up with the stereo output.  It works fine.  Like you, I play entire sets of just acoustic numbers.  I even designed this guitar to have an acoustic guitar aesthetic to it with the Sitka Spruce top.  It won't look too suspicious when you hear an acoustic guitar coming out of the PA...lol

Yah, I noticed the design - very nice and I love how the Sitka plays off of the Mahogany.  That bridge really sets off the acoustic look.

Cagey said:
I'm guessing you'd be using two different amps then?

Cagey, I found it impossible to get a usable acoustic tone out of a piezo bridge through an electric guitar amp.  I go straight to the PA through a DI box, or plug into my Fender Acoustasonic 30 Watt Amp.  The amp is the key.  It went from "meh" to "WOW" with an acoustic amp (touch of delay, reverb, chorus...nirvana...not the band).  I use a Fishman Aura Spectrum as a DI box.  The only one I have ever tried.  The onboard preamp is good, but it does need that little extra from the pedal to make it perfect.

For the mags, it goes straight into my Peavey 6505 (2x12) with maybe a wah pedal in the chain.  No other effects / overdrive.  I love the sound of that amp.  Funny, I like alot of effects on my acoustic tone...strange...

With my piezo guitars I run a TRS cable to an A/B/Y box. This is a must for hair metal ballads :party07:

DangerousR6 said:
Looks killer John...

New bridge is being sent out today... :icon_thumright:

Thanks Doug...I am still waiting on a few other parts (Ebony knobs from LMII, neck screws for contoured heel via Warmoth, Scaller strap locks) then its off to my tech for assembly and fret dressing.

Deajo,

I forgot to ask you what you will be using to drill the additional jack hole (har har).  Do you have a forstner bit and a press? Or are you gonna freestyle?  I have an extra set of bits, so I can lend you one if you need.  Half the set has a hex shank in diameters up to 7/8", IIRC.  Let me know if you need something and I can snail it over.

Edit: Just saw your post.  Looks like your tech may have all the fun.

f

fdesalvo said:
Deajo,

I forgot to ask you what you will be using to drill the additional jack hole (har har).  Do you have a forstner bit and a press? Or are you gonna freestyle?  I have an extra set of bits, so I can lend you one if you need.  Half the set has a hex shank in diameters up to 7/8", IIRC.  Let me know if you need something and I can snail it over.

Edit: Just saw your post.  Looks like your tech may have all the fun.

f

Hey Frank,

I am getting the tech to drill the extra output hole and route a channel under the bridge so the piezo wiring can be concealed.  I have the equipment to do the job myself but I have no time....2 young kids...life if busy.  I have another project on the go right now and it has taken me 4 months to get around to grain filling the mahoghany for the tru oil to go on...I hope to have in finished by Christmas...lol.

I had DR6 drill additional holes in the base of the bridge to accommodate the wiring.  I am pretty excited about the project.  Thanks for the offer...

deajo said:
DangerousR6 said:
Looks killer John...

New bridge is being sent out today... :icon_thumright:

Thanks Doug...I am still waiting on a few other parts (Ebony knobs from LMII, neck screws for contoured heel via Warmoth, Scaller strap locks) then its off to my tech for assembly and fret dressing.
Well, to bad I didn't know about the neck screws, I have tons of them all different lengths from doing the neck plates for 5 years. I would have sent some.

And I like the name "Plane Jane"..Reminds me of the Hagar song... :headbang1:

Back