Spanish Cedar

m4rk0

Epic Member
Soooooo, whats the story with Spanish Ceder.. it seems to be what all the booteek guys use.. its not even pretty, but apparently it sounds like really old mahogany...
anybody tried it?

I found this here:

SPANISH CEDAR (Mahogany Species)

Ellis Guitars uses Spanish Cedar tonewood as back and sides on their custom acoustic guitars. This timber is an exotic wood from West Indies and South America.

BOTANY:      Cedrela Odorata
SOURCE:   Spanish Cedar timber is found in the West Indies, Southern Mexico to Northern Argentina
COLOURS:    Spanish Cedar timber is pinkish to red coloured heartwood which darkens with exposure, to either a red brown or red purple tone. Lighter than Mahogany, more red
CHARACTER: Spanish Cedar wood is straight grained, but can be interlocked. It has a fine and uniform texture
COMPARES:  Spanish Cedar tonewood compares to Brazilian Rosewood, but is heavier
TONAL:   Spanish Cedar tonewood compares tonally to Brazilian Rosewood

From other sites, I find that:

• C. F. Martin uses it on several models for the neck, sides, and backs.
  • It's supposed to be less dense and lighter in weight than Honduran Mahogany, but harder than Western Red Cedar.
  • It's a plain, unexciting wood, grain-wise. Nothing to distinguish it.

Long story short, it sounds like a way to get the tonal qualities of Brazilian rosewood without the cost or legal difficulties, at the expense of some beauty. Few people mention it in relation to electrics; it seems its qualities are more attractive to acoustic manufacturers, which is true of most "tone" woods. With electrics, grain, figuring and color are more important as the wood doesn't contribute to the sound of the guitar nearly as much as it does with acoustics.

Ruokangas in Finland use spanish cedar for their Unicorn (ie Les Paul) model. Apparently he did some pretty extensive testing before he decided on it, and I think he's a pretty picky guy. It looks kind of like mahogany too so it should work well in that context.

smjenkins said:
I imagine it would make for an excellent sauna.

No, Saunas should be made out of Spruce or high quality pine..
I used to have a Red Cedar infra-red sauna though, but then again that is not a real sauna :)

Also, Spanish Cedar is not really Cedar..

(I used to sell Saunas for a living years and years ago ;))

Marko said:
smjenkins said:
I imagine it would make for an excellent sauna.

No, Saunas should be made out of Spruce or high quality pine..
I used to have a Red Cedar infra-red sauna though, but then again that is not a real sauna :)

Also, Spanish Cedar is not really Cedar..

(I used to sell Saunas for a living years and years ago ;))

The most interesting man in the world strikes again!

Marko said:
Soooooo, whats the story with Spanish Ceder.. it seems to be what all the booteek guys use.. its not even pretty, but apparently it sounds like really old mahogany...
anybody tried it?
I like to dip it in a nice habanero sauce, and wash it down with and ice cold Shiner Bach.... :headbang1:

DangerousR6 said:
Marko said:
anybody tried it?
I like to dip it in a nice habanero sauce, and wash it down with and ice cold Shiner Bach.... :headbang1:

+Texas

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Bach or Bock?
Bock.... :icon_biggrin:
800px-ShinerCurrent.JPG

Marko said:
anybody tried it?

I have a real fondness for SC as a body wood. It works well and is relatively light compared to many other commonly used body core woods. My only real beef is that you need to select your lumber carefully, as some pieces are so loaded with sap that they never seem to stop weeping the stuff :(

Keith Roscoe uses SC as one of his main body core woods. I think well over half of his basses use SC as the core material

all the best,

R

Spanish Cedar seems to be a nice option for a body as it is used quite extensively by acoustic builders for its tonal qualities.
I've had the idea of building me a SC semi-hollow Tele with P-90s and a Wenge neck. Maybe in 2 more builds  :icon_biggrin:

SkuttleFunk said:
Keith Roscoe uses SC as one of his main body core woods. I think well over half of his basses use SC as the core material

all the best,

R

Oh man Roscoe!!!
I used to hang around his shop quite a bit when it was located in Tate Street ( I was attending college way, way, way  back then :laughing7: )
I still remember a souped up tube amp he had wich was encased in  transaparent plastic and it sounded killer!!! and the "Death PLays Roscoe" adds he had in GFTPM.
Suddenly I just felt very old!!!  :doh:

I don't understand the comparison to Brazilian Rosewood. Seems like a marketing ploy.

Back