Spalted V - Work in Progress

dwiller

Hi Friends.

Things are slow on the assembly front as I wait for parts to arrive and pickups to be wound etc.    In the interim, Doug and I have been toying around with some neck plate ideas.

Vote for your favorite, or tell me they all suck.    Neck plate will likely be in chrome to match the rest of the hardware, but black is still a possibility for the neck plate, as the cavity cover is also black and the back of the guitar is darker and wenge neck is dark.    Still can't decide.  Thats the fun of this whole adventure.   

I promise more pics as I put this sucker together.

Cheers

Dave

NeckPlatePole.jpg

P1040593.jpg

Gotta go with A  - the others, while lovely at the scale shown here, won't reproduce as clearly on a slug of metal as small as a neckplate.

Purely from a design standpoint, my eye likes "C" best. However, I have to agree with Bagman, "A" will most likely reproduce on a neckplate better.

Get "C" as a commemorative tatoo when it's finished! Killer guitar! Can't wait to see it finished.

'A' is definitely the cleanest and has the best balance of elements.  I do like the guitar in 'B', but not the layout.  You could always make the guitar shorter and stick the 'Warmoth' below it, like it is in 'A'.

I sorta like "A", although it looks like a Klingon weapon. The other two look like Klingon Christmas trees or something.

I think B is cool, but I wonder with so many cuts, does that leave a whole bunch of sharp edges?

I think A is more subtle, but bold nonetheless.

dwiller said:
Hi Friends.

Things are slow on the assembly front as I wait for parts to arrive and pickups to be wound etc.    In the interim, Doug and I have been toying around with some neck plate ideas.

Vote for your favorite, or tell me they all suck.    Neck plate will likely be in chrome to match the rest of the hardware, but black is still a possibility for the neck plate, as the cavity cover is also black and the back of the guitar is darker and wenge neck is dark.    Still can't decide.  Thats the fun of this whole adventure.   

I promise more pics as I put this sucker together.

Cheers

Dave

NeckPlatePole.jpg

P1040593.jpg

My vote for C. That drawing reminds me of the BC Rich Draco.

Big thanks to everyone for their input and to Doug for the awesome job on the neck plate.  Sorry, but I had to cover up a small bit of you handywork with my strap button!

P1040684.jpg

Also put in the threaded neck screw inserts from Onyx forge.  I was trying to get the bits and pieces direct from Mcmaster-carr, but they wouldn't ship to me in Canada.    I am pretty happy with how these work and I will certainly do the upgrade on my incoming soloist.

P1040659.jpg

P1040660.jpg

Ferrules and Jackplate are in now too.  I used the soldering iron method to briefly heat up the ferrules prior to pushing them in.  I also tried to clean out some of the excess finish overspray in the holes prior to installing the ferrules. You can see in the background that I have my toggle switch and pots mocked up.  When I inserted the first pot, it wouldn't quite fit and I ended up chipping some of the finish.  However, its pretty small and is covered up by the hardware.  From then on I had to sand out the pot holes a bit before they would fit.

P1040678.jpg

P1040680.jpg

I chose to use a jackplate from a gibson explorer, as its a rectangular shape instead of a square.  I wanted to see wood on both sides of the plate and have a distinct line between the body binding and wood. 

P1040677.jpg

Got my headstock bits in finally.    A set of open-back trimlock tuners from Sperzel in chrome and black with faux ivory tuner knobs to match the rest of the binding etc.    I dealt with Sperzel directly as TK instruments doesn't ship to Canada.    I guess it cost more this way, but I am happy to get the open-back version in my color choice.

I am using a traditional Gibson shaped truss rod cover in aged white (cream)/black/aged white.    Have the dark silver Warmoth decal on.  I have to confess that the little "Made in USA" sticker parts are a PITA and I had to order a second decal and retry that part as they didn't stick the first time.    Second time around I paid more attention to cleaning the surface with alcohol prior to applying the sticker.

P1040671.jpg

P1040673.jpg

P1040674.jpg

P1040676.jpg

Ok, I'm going to say it-

THAT guitar looks so inviting to play - very well thought out design and set of appointments.  PERFECT.  Love the mechanical look of the tuners, as well. 

fdesalvo said:
Ok, I'm going to say it-

THAT guitar looks so inviting to play - very well thought out design and set of appointments.  PERFECT.  Love the mechanical look of the tuners, as well.

I must concur.  The combination of modern & classic, it's really the epitome of what a custom instrument embody's.

Finally Done!!  It took since just after Christmas to finally get this thing to the point that I can plug it in and have some fun. Well worth the wait.

Pickups are MadHouseDesigns Walter set in zebra.

Got some very special real ivoroid pickup rings made to match the body binding etc.    Don't ask how much they were or where I got them from as I am not at liberty to say.    They are a small feature, but bring the whole project together.
I bought some Ivoroid knobs aswell but they just don't look right and I prefer the amber speed knobs.

The thing plays great and I am super happy with how everything worked out.    After playing it for a while and comparing it to my Jackson KV1 Mustaine, which I have had converted to a TOM, I have to say that I probably prefer NOT having the recessed TOM as I feel I have less to rest my palm on, so thats a lesson learned for next time.  Not a major issue.  Just needs a bit more getting used to I think.

Big kudos to everyone at Warmoth for such a stellar product.    It was a fun build and can't wait for more.

Cheers

Dave

P1040846.jpg

P1040847.jpg

P1040848.jpg

Nice!

Not sure what you mean by "real ivoroid". Is that like "genuine faux pearls"? Or, is that the stuff they get from elephantoids? <grin>

Cagey said:
Nice!

Not sure what you mean by "real ivoroid". Is that like "genuine faux pearls"? Or, is that the stuff they get from elephantoids? <grin>
I don't see where he said "real ivoroid".... :icon_scratch:

dwiller said:
Got some very special real ivoroid pickup rings made to match the body binding etc.    Don't ask how much they were or where I got them from as I am not at liberty to say.    They are a small feature, but bring the whole project together.

At the link.

I think what he meant was "ivory", since that's what it looks like and there's nothing special about Ivoroid. It's just plastic.

Back