spalted maple top

vjm

How do you get this option with warmoth? I can't find it any where in the warmoth selections.

Spalted Maple is delicate.
I believe they only offered it in very thin tops, and it requires binding.

It seems like Spalt comes through Warmoths shop every once in a while, so jump on it when it shows up.

Wyliee said:
What body style?  It is not available for most models.
Eric???

Well, Warmoth decided to stop using Spalted Maple as it demands too much work... Probably as they still have one or other blank there, they would do, if the dimensions are ok...

But as you see, they took Spalted from the wood's list, so probably will have a end one day...
And as Line6man said, it was only 1/8" thick tops, had to have binding and needed to have a finish from Warmoth, so it may be a little expensive...

Spalted maple is generally a pain to work with. It is usually very porous, brittle and contains a lot of cracks from the fungal infections (that really is what causes the spalting). This means it has to be stabilized, usually with epoxy or CA before it can be worked on. Its a very time consuming process.

I hope Warmoth come across some more soon, as I know it is very hard to find good looking large enough pieces.

One item to note - folks have been purpose spalting maple and poplar for a very long time and the affects on the wood strength aren't that stark.  I built a coffee table out of spalt that we made in the backyard - trash bags, moisture and keeping the boards off the ground was the recipe - oh yeah, and time.  It can take a while.... but the results are spectacular when they come out.  That's the rub - Black Korina is fabulous all the time; the spalt is hit and miss.

Bow River has some nice pieces for tops at reasonable prices (canadian$)  They are great folks , I've bought several sets from them .

http://bowriverwoods.com/Luthier-Guitar-Wood-Supply/Luthiers-and-Tonewoods/Bass-Guitar-Tonewoods/Spalted-Maple-Guitar-Lam-Tops-

Back