Spalt Maple Soloist

apollo

Hey guys just joined this forum (even though I've been reading posts constantly for the last 6 months!)... I finished my first Warmoth guitar last Christmas (gift to myself) and I finally decided to post it up after a fierce battle with procrastination... Here's the specs:

Body:
Soloist Swamp Ash body w/ spalt maple top
Black binding
Clear Satin finish
Bridge routed for TOM w/stoptail

I widened a volume hole slightly to fit in a 3-way switch (since my SG has one and I love the look).

Neck:

Birdseye Maple Jackson reverse neck
Wizard Profile
Stainless Steel Frets
Graphite nut
Schaller mini-locking tuners
Standard black face and side dots

The pickups are the only things I didn't get from Warmoth (besides the strings) - a DiMarzio PAF Pro in the neck and a DSonic in the bridge position.
The Strings are DR Black Beauties... I thought they'd contrast nicely (it turns out the black coating doesn't last that long at the point where I pick the string - not worth the extra cash).

Sorry if I missed anything in the descritpion... the guitar speaks for itself mostly though.. couldn't be happier with it  :laughing7:

The birdseye maple neck and the spalted top - both in clear finish - go really well together. How have you found the wizard profile for the neck? It's about the thinnest that Warmoth offer standard, I think.

Congrats on a great build and welcome ! :headbang:

OzziePete said:
The birdseye maple neck and the spalted top - both in clear finish - go really well together. How have you found the wizard profile for the neck? It's about the thinnest that Warmoth offer standard, I think.

Congrats on a great build and welcome ! :headbang:

Thanks for the compliment and the warm welcome... at first the neck took some time to get used (since the other guitar I have had a fuller, rounder neck) but after a few weeks of playing it it feels very light, especially when it comes to playing on the higher frets... the only problem is my hand tends to tire out more easily (but hey, that means that my hands are working harder and the muscles become tougher as a consequence). I mainly got it to try out as I'm a huge fan of shred

rockskate4x said:
I'm so jealous... I love spalt maple, and its no longer an option from warmoth.

Thanks... I doubt warmoth would stop spalt altogether seeing how popular it is... they probably sold out for now, but im sure they'll be back... It's a jungle out there when it comes to spalt tops - they sell like hot cakes

Welcome the the Boards!

That's a killer top for a soloist.  It almost looks like a design rather than spalt.

Blue313 said:
Welcome the the Boards!

That's a killer top for a soloist.  It almost looks like a design rather than spalt.

Thanks.. that's why I chose that top it looked like the a flame  :laughing11:

images

That thing is freakin sexy.  I love the binding with the spalt.  Great choices there.  :eek:ccasion14:

Great looking axe.  :party07:

By a recent post it appears Spalted maple is no longer offered.  Love the look of Spalted...

Thanks for the compliments... I hope spalt will be back though cause I defeinitely dont want this to be my last spalt guitar I make from Warmoth... I love the look too much to just give it up cold turkey

Holy crap man, that thing is FANTASTIC!!!! Great work!!

Back