southpaws needed

slowist

just flipped the nut/strings on my plywood strat copy to start learning to play left handed, I'm a lefty and I wanted to play left handed but the first person to tell me about guitar told me it'd be an ordeal so I never did, but I got some strings and decided nows a good time, I figure it's going to be tough, the whammy bar is annoying, the tuners are on the wrong side and the tummy cut being on my knee feels like it's going to put my leg asleep, not to mention I have to start over from scratch as far as getting my hands used to working in reverse. Any advice from southpaws or people who play both left and right?

I think practicing a lot is probably the only thing that will help.  After that, if you want to keep playing left handed, maybe getting a proper left handed guitar would help with the comfort issues.  I doubt there are any shortcuts. 

The stratocaster is the first guitar I had, when I'd gotten to play a little better I bought a JS King V with a floyd rose, so that It would be more easily flipped when I finally decided to learn to play left handed but that was stolen, so I ended up buying an ltd eclipse (forgetting about the whole left handed thing) and now I've decided to make the switch, I'll probably buy another V later on, when I have the money

I'm left handed but play the guitar right handed. I've been playing well over 40 years so I'm not likely to change that now.

The reason I play "right handed" is that when I started I tried both ways round and did not see a particular difference and went from there.

There are lots of accomplished left handed artists who play right handed. I've even met a right handed person who played left handed as it made more sense to him.

But if you already play one way why do you want to change ?

Good friend of mine is a lefty who plays right-handed. I'm right-handed, but like Stratamania, I could have gone either way when I first started out. It was gonna be awkward no matter what, so availability of instruments made the decision more than anything else. I'm also curious why you'd want to change now.

That said I've also known left handed players who play left handed say it just felt like the way to hold it.

I think the thing I am trying to get at is do what feels natural rather than what convention would direct you towards.

A one time boyfriend of one of my daughters was right handed that played lefty, but he was like Doyle Brahmal Jr. And just used a right handed guitar lefty style, strings and all, blew me away to watch the kid. He'd just pick up one of my guitars and get to whalin'... :band:

I always WANTED to play left handed but then someone told me that it costs more for a lefty guitar and being that I knew nothing about guitar back then I went with it, not knowing that I could just flip the strings. I guess It's about learning to play differently? also I always find that I go to left-handed stance instead of right handed when I mime a guitar, and I figure that meant something. Also I'd kinda like to be able to pickup and play any guitar

be like Steve Vai and Micheal Angelo Batio...both can play both ways. Although I believe Micheal Angelo is probably more on the skilled side of ambidextrous playing.

Ah - the forums are postable again!

I'm righty, but my son is lefty and I bought him a left handed bass. It was so frustrating to switch - I actually can play halfway decent right upside down. Chording might be a different story. But there was no way I can switch. My two cents.. you can debate the merits of this all you want. But once you pick a path stay on it. I'm not really sure what you're gaining skillwise by switching - that's a heck of a lot of practice that could be better spent elsewhere.

Well if you always wanted to play Left handed, that's not a bad reason to have.

Only tips I can think of is that it will require a certain amount of time. I'd start with teaching the hands the basic chord shapes, then barre chords, pentatonics and scales.

It may come quickly or may not depending on the individual, but it may be a little harder than starting as a complete beginner in terms of thinking why can't I just do this. Still you never know till you try.

Back