Sonic Blue Strat

Corey P.

Pretty excited by how this is coming together!  The pickups are a set of Bare Knuckle Mother's Milk single coils, and the body is an eBay grab from a Classic Player Strat.

The neck is going to be Warmoth, just waiting "patiently" for my tax refund...  I have and love a raw neck on other instruments, but for this I'm leaning towards Maple/Rosewood with a Nitro finish: I'd really like to have the glossing-over-from-being-played experience. :icon_thumright:

I'm sure I want an asymmetric contour - any strong thoughts on SRV vs. Wolfgang?  I have large hands and really enjoy having more "meat" to the bass side of the neck.

Attachments

• Strat Body.jpg
    Strat Body.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 75
That's a really fine body you have here, I was considering getting a Sonic Blue strat myself before I found something entirely different in the showcase (and I have always been under the impression than Fender's Sonic Blue is paler, and in my eyes nicer than Warmoth's).

From what you're saying, it looks like the SRV contour would be a good choice, but I'll never played one, so I'll let others chime in.

I got the SRV contour on my VIP as it's closer to the 59 Roundback than the Wolfgang (closer to Standard Thin) when comparing the diameters.
Sonic Blue is possibly my favourite solid finish. It's a shame I don't own one (yet).

Alright, we have a winner:

VMS7904A.jpg

Style: Stratocaster®
Construction: Vintage Modern Construction
Orientation: Right Handed
Neck Wood: Maple
Fingerboard Wood: Indian Rosewood
Nut Width: 1-11/16"
Back Shape: SRV
Fret Size: 6150
Tuner Ream: Sperzel (25/64")
Radius: 10-16" Compound
Scale: 25-1/2"
Fret #: 22
Mounting Holes: Standard 4 Bolt
Pre-Cut Installed String Nut: GraphTech White TUSQ XL - Standard Nut
Inlays: Cream Face Dots
Side Dots: White Side Dots
Finish: Clear Satin Nitro

Not reinventing the wheel here, but I'm excited to get things like the compound radius and SRV contour (and aftermarket pickups) that I couldn't in an off-the-rack Strat without paying a healthy chunk more for an American Deluxe.

Going to try the Hipshot staggered locking tuners - I've had great history with their hardware and great support experiences as well when I had questions or needed things like longer intonation screws for my 5-string Jag bass.

:eek: -Holy straight grain, Batman!

That fretboard is gorgeous! -Love it when the rosewood is nice an' straight like that! And anything called "SRV" has gotta be the better choice!

X's 2 on the sonic blue... minus the part about Fender's being better than W's!  :icon_jokercolor:

croquet hoop said:
That's a really fine body you have here, I was considering getting a Sonic Blue strat myself before I found something entirely different in the showcase (and I have always been under the impression than Fender's Sonic Blue is paler, and in my eyes nicer than Warmoth's).
Day-mun said:
X's 2 on the sonic blue... minus the part about Fender's being better than W's!  :icon_jokercolor:

I'm more in line with CH here - I like that Fender's has a bit more grey in it than W's, but they're both awesome.

Thanks for the reinforcement, y'all!

Neck and all the hardware has arrived!

My first impression is to love the compound radius - bends are super smooth and chords are clear as reported!  I wish I trusted myself to solder, but I need to invest in a proper soldering iron (and invest time practicing) so I'll try that another time on a bunch of spare pickups I have lying around from no-name guitars vs. the boutique ones I wittingly overpaid for.  This one's headed to the trusted luthier for some solder + a setup.  :headbang1:

Attachments

• SB Strat Neck First Strings.jpg
    SB Strat Neck First Strings.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 33
Corey P. said:
Neck and all the hardware has arrived!

My first impression is to love the compound radius - bends are super smooth and chords are clear as reported!  I wish I trusted myself to solder, but I need to invest in a proper soldering iron (and invest time practicing) so I'll try that another time on a bunch of spare pickups I have lying around from no-name guitars vs. the boutique ones I wittingly overpaid for.  This one's headed to the trusted luthier for some solder + a setup.  :headbang1:
Is that the same body as in the first picture? It looks more white but that could be just beacause no pickguard for contrast. Either way can't wait to see the finished prdouct. Oh and soldering is pretty easy n fun. You'll be able to swing it no prob I am sure  :toothy11:

Surf n Music said:
Is that the same body as in the first picture? It looks more white but that could be just beacause no pickguard for contrast. Either way can't wait to see the finished product. Oh and soldering is pretty easy n fun. You'll be able to swing it no prob I am sure  :toothy11:

Aye, it's the same body - like you said no pickguard for contrast and there's a fair amount of sunlight hitting it as well - we don't normally get a lot of winter sun in Buffalo, NY, heh.  :icon_biggrin:

Back