Someone, please, make Jerry proud with this one!

RLW said:
It is sublime, and a perfect
example of how six people playing blazing solos all at the same time can
create something much larger than the sum of its parts

If anyone hasn't seen the Tom Dowd special that PBS ran a few years ago, check it out.  For just being an engineer, he influenced music as much as any musician ever did.  His engineering innovations rival that of Les Paul and Sir George Martin.  Anywho, back to the meat of my post, the statement about "six people playing blazing solos at the same time" reminded of Tom Dowd.  I never cared much for the Allman Bros. Band until seeing the Tom Dowd special.  He said for being a blues band, they had this fluidity that they could be compared to a freeform jazz band.  One drummer would be playing 5/4 time, the other playing 4/4.  Duane Allman sliding all over place, while Betts bent his way everywhere on top of Gregg Allman's ivory skills.  I saw them in a new light.  Tom Dowd introduced Clapton to Duane Allman, and that's Allman and Clapton on the instrumental piece at the end of "Layla," recorded 3 weeks afterward.

'Grats Stryker, can't wait to see it finished.  Are you going for a third humbucker?

I never saw the Dead... I was only 9 when Jerry died.  :(

DocNrock said:
  That said, perhaps I missed something. 

Some kinds of music may require extra large doses of illegal substances before you can appreciated them ;)

dbw said:
'Grats Stryker, can't wait to see it finished.  Are you going for a third humbucker?

I never saw the Dead... I was only 9 when Jerry died.  :(

I'm actually going to leave it with the two humbuckers- I'm not trying to recreate Jerry's guitar, I definitely want it to be to my needs.  It'll be all gold hardware - gotoh bridge, 4 les paul position volumes/tones (gold flat top tele style knobs), gold pickup rings..  but exposed bobbins on the p-ups.

For the neck i'm pretty much set on a walnut neck (satin finish), standard thin, ss frets, jet black ebony fingerboard  w/ abalone dots, ebony peghead venneer on the Warmoth headstock.

I'm up in the air on which pickups to use... 

Yea I feel like I missed all the fun too..  I'd definitely like to go back to 1965 Haight/ Ashbury and have 30 years of dead shows to looks forward to, but alas the recordings and dvd's will have to do.    oh yea, Dark Star Orchestra, don't miss them if you havent seen them yet,  oh man.  amazing!   

Walnut neck? That body just SCREAMS for a Pau Ferro neck! They just put up a number of extremely tasty Pau Ferro Tele/Strat necks, I'd be calling Warmoth and seeing if they had any more of those billets left to make another with your headstock choice...

http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/sc_guitar_necks.cfm?type=guitar&menuItem=1&neckWood_filter=24

man those are YUMMY!!!!  How is pau ferro in terms of brightness??  Brighter than wenge, but warmer than walnut?    Unfortunately I made a vow to not buy the neck for this one until my credit card balance was dealt with, but those necks are so tempting!!!!!         

I have one Pau Ferro neck, tone is indistinguishable from maple, but with a bit more sustain, that probably due to extra weight.

SN5396a.jpg

http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/sc_guitar_necks.cfm?type=guitar&itemNumber=SN5396&menuItem=1&subMenuItem=0&subMenuItem2=0&neckWood_filter=24

Rowf! :blob7:

But still:

SN5458a.jpg

>  I'd definitely like to go back to 1965 Haight/ Ashbury...

And tell Jerry to eat a salad once in a while.

I think this one would look nice...  walnut/ebony...  I was thinking that I wanted to keep the freboard simple since the body is so interesting.
http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/sc_guitar_necks.cfm?type=guitar&start=1&menuItem=9&itemNumber=WN644&subMenuItem=1&subMenuItem2=0&neckWood_filter=33,34&backContour_filter=1

Question- If a showcase neck is drilled for vintage tuners, which most of them are it seems, if you buy it can they rout the hole for a different kind of tuner, say the schaller?? 

Yes.  They do the vintage one because it is the smallest, but they can enlarge it for any of the others they offer.  :icon_thumright:

Okay good, thanks guitlouie.  I was confused on that one.      Now nobody buy that neck !!!    :laughing7:

I thought that this thread was for Jerry -- Jerry Lewis (keeping in the theme of the recent holiday).

Back