someone make this guitar for me

Shandrazar said:
sekt88 said:
yeah, count me in as one of the outsiders.....I can´t stand the music of clapton and santana. they make me sick.

Really?  Why?

Clapton bores me to tears. I find him uninspiring.
Santana has dropped acid one too many times, is equally uninspiring and technically sophmoric.

I love Jeff Beck, but I listen to mostly horn players like davis, coltrane, etc..., a lot of  piano players like art tatum and mulgrew miller and a lot of classical music.

I was raised on Frank Zappa.

Santana has dropped acid one too many times, is equally uninspiring and technically sophmoric.

soph-O-moric.... I actually tend to agree, though, like Miles, he's had the canny strategy to play the same thing for thirty years in a row and update the style of the band surrounding him... but if you're going to rag on somebody, you have to spellcheck. There was much amusement about Santana's recent Guitar Player interview, where he talked about how much more important it was to play one note from the heart, than a bunch of notes... many many guitarists weighed in, to the tone of:
"Carlos - it's about time you learned your second note, now...." :hello2:

After the deaths of his best friends Jimi Hendrix, then Duane Allman, Clapton quite consciously stepped back from the fire and remade himself into a "singer/songwriter" - like James Taylor or John Denver, 361 Ocean Boulevard... he doesn't practice in between gigs, and doesn't seem real interested in "being good". He had the worst guitar tone of everyone on the 2004 Crossroads DVD, and only really pepped up on his last number. 2007 seemed a bit better. Baby boomers have this weird thing about not letting retired people stay retired, Clapton keeps trying to quit & the Jurassic Park doctors keep dragging him back out. And they made "Get Smart" into a movie too - what's wrong with you guys?

sekt88 said:
yeah, count me in as one of the outsiders.....I can´t stand the music of clapton and santana. they make me sick.

woah woah woah woah WOAH!!!

both of those guys were absolutely sick in their heyday, i know thye both suck now and unfortunately most people are goign to rememebr santana for 'smooth' and clapton for 'tears in heaven' but they both wrote and played some pretty f*uckign good stuff early on!

Clapton's playing has never done anything for me. I think he's a lot better player now than he was in the '60s and '70s. I love all the old bands he played in, but I never got that whole "Clapton Is God" thing...

I'll start out with this.  I love the Derek and The Dominos disk.  Great blues, classic songs(not Layla) and blues standards.  Clapton in Cream was amazing too. 

I haven't liked much of his music since the mid 80's.  Too many things about it to pinpoint but basicly he was more Phil Collins than "Clapton is God".

I read a quote from Steve Vai about one of the Crossroads shows, and I can't find it right now but I'll post it when I do, but it went kinda like...

They were having a big jam with everyone taking a turn on a 12 bar blues riff,  Beck walks in and starts in on "not that boring old shit".....

Beck is cool.  Never content to stay within safe commercial guidlines and structures.  He just plays his ass off. 

I always felt that Jeff Beck was the only one from the Yardbirds' guitar spot to constantly challenge himself and us for over 40 years. Jimmy Page fell victim to his habits, and around 1988 or so, I feel like Clapton just put it in neutral. Even worse, his singing voice reminded me of Burl Ives, and ever since then I just can't listen. I like a lot of early Santana, but for all those guys, I guess they're entitled to do and play whatever they want. I just don't care for a good chunk of it.

I watched Jeff Beck 8 or 10 years ago from about 10' away at the 9:30 club in DC and was just astonished. It was one of the few times I could say of seeing a person live that they didn't play guitar, they played music.

I think of Clapton sort of as a catalyst for other people's music. I don't get much from his true solo stuff, but playing with Cream was often great, playing with Duane Allman via D&D was great, his presence at this Jeff Beck show, his Crossroads concerts..... I think of him as a supporter, not the lead fella. And he's pretty good at that role.

Eric's a good deal peppier (2:49!) in this one, I guess he learned the chord changes (2004, hmmm, took him 28 years? :toothy12:). Audio only:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZshJfWzgmok&feature=channel_page

Here's another from the earlier show, Eric tries to keep up. Really he does:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZBeerUD-zc&feature=related

Beck is a genius.
Always been a fan but recently saw the Ronnie Scott's live gig on the BBC (the gig on his latest live album) and to see him get those sounds out of a strat with just his fingers, trem and the vol knob (and the occasional octaver) is awe-inspiring.

just a small reminder. the fact that he can make strange sounds with a guitar, doesnt make him per se a GREAT guitarplayer. I'm trying to listen to blow by blow, but I'm annoyed by the 'squeek squeek squeek' level of the music. there is no real story, no music in it for me. sure, he can PLAY, but i've hoped for more...

I love that album (Blow By Blow). It's been such a huge influence on me. If I could play like anyone it would be like him on that record. He just makes it all seem so easy. That album is like tone heaven for me. Best feel and intonation in the business, IMO.

GoDrex said:
I love that album (Blow By Blow). It's been such a huge influence on me. If I could play like anyone it would be like him on that record. He just makes it all seem so easy. That album is like tone heaven for me. Best feel and intonation in the business, IMO.

really? oh I can't stand it. I wish I could. it just annoys me.

Orpheo said:
GoDrex said:

not surprising - I've always felt that you have bad taste.  :laughing7:

GoDrex said:
Orpheo said:
GoDrex said:

and that, while I kept on thinking, there's no account for taste  :confused4:

not surprising - I've always felt that you have bad taste.  :laughing7:

Everything that I don't like sucks - that's why I don't like it. Duh. :icon_scratch:

If it didn't suck, why, sure - I'd like it.  :blob7:

Back