Some LPS questions!

B.W.O.T.W.

Hi, new member here!  :headbang1:

I've just ordered my first Warmoth, a vintage white LPS body (you may remeber it from the showcase) and a Wenge/Ebony fat neck. 1pickup, 1volume, Tonepros bridge and Planet Waves tuners. I've been looking through these forums for help and inspiration, and has always been very useful  :icon_smile:

I'm considering sending the gutiar to a luthier when it arrvies to have him built it from scracth. But I got a few questions first, hope you can guide me on them!

First is the allocation of the straplocks. Obviously the bottom one is a no brainer, but I'm not sure about the upper one. Most people put it on the upper horn, but I think it'll make more sense in the body itself, like an SG or ES335. The thing is, with the neckplate, it'll have to be located lower than in the original models, and it may be too much. Please show me your warmoth LPS and SG's to give me ideas!

I'm under the impression that my LPS wil be very neck heavy. Not that I particlary mind, but with the light flat top body with just one pickup, and the fatback wenge neck I'm gessing it will not be in place when I get my hands off it. How do your LPS behave in that aspect?

I've been thinking too to have the luthier finish the fretboard with this product that makes ebony blacker too. I love the effect on spanish guitars, and Les paul customs. I'm not sure of I'll do it, it'll depend on the first impression I get when I see the neck; if I like it it'll stay that way! But if I go for it, will it be a problem that the neck already has inlays and frets installed? Anyone has experience on this?

And finally, all of you who have a Flat Top LPS, what case you got it in? I'm gesssing it'll fit a Les Paul case, but these are usually big and heavy, to acomodate for the carved top. You think it'll fit in a skinnier SG case?

Thanks for the answers, and excuse my poor english!  :icon_thumright:

I think I have seen a few with the strap button in the neck plate. A hole was drilled in the plate for the button.

I have a carved top LPS with a wenge neck, button on the top horn, and it has no balance problems.

+1 try the strap button attached to the neck screws if you want. The LP I bought, the guy had a really long neck screw that doubled as a strap lock. I didn't like it, but it worked for him. Careful though to make sure it doesn't go in too deep - don't force it. If it is really neck heavy and that is a problem you could swap for lighter tuners (weight at the headstock will have the most effect on neck heaviness, and PW tuners aren't light),
Somebody told us a while ago about the black dye for ebony necks, that it doesn't color anything except the wood.  I say, wait a week or two, there's no reason to do that kind of job right away. Sounds messy anyhow - tape off the rest of the neck, rub in, scrub off frets and dots, etc. Good luck and please send us pictures.

B.W.O.T.W. said:
Most people put it on the upper horn, but I think it'll make more sense in the body itself

why? why not put it where it will balance better? By your reasoning a strat would have it by the neckplate as well.

+1 for light tuners if it's neck heavy, perhaps the vintage model:
http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/tuners_lockinggotoh.htm

And the dye for fingerboard won't affect the inlay, but I'm only sure if it's pearl...

Which parts are going on this LPS?

I'd put it (the strap lock) on the horn as well - just to get it to balance.  If you didn't want it there, then nonsensetele's recommendation about vintage tuners is a good one - get the vintage tuners to make the neck lighter.

Regarding the ebony die - hell go for it!  It's your guitar after all...

How much does your LPS body weigh? I've got a couple of wenge/ebony necks, and while they may be a little bit heavier than the average mahogany or maple neck, the differential isn't very much at all, maybe a few ounces. Unless you got some ultra light weight LPS body, shouldn't be any problem at all.

Thanks for the answers guys,

Kublai said:
I have a carved top LPS with a wenge neck, button on the top horn, and it has no balance problems.

I'd love to see a pic of that one!

GoDrex said:
B.W.O.T.W. said:
Most people put it on the upper horn, but I think it'll make more sense in the body itself

why? why not put it where it will balance better? By your reasoning a strat would have it by the neckplate as well.

I guess I'm used to see the vintage Les pauls DC's, SG's and ES335. Then again, on the newr DC models GIbson puts it in the horn, so...

mayfly said:
I'd put it (the strap lock) on the horn as well - just to get it to balance.  If you didn't want it there, then nonsensetele's recommendation about vintage tuners is a good one - get the vintage tuners to make the neck lighter.

So, balance wise, you'd think it'll be better to be at the horn?

jackthehack said:
How much does your LPS body weigh? I've got a couple of wenge/ebony necks, and while they may be a little bit heavier than the average mahogany or maple neck, the differential isn't very much at all, maybe a few ounces. Unless you got some ultra light weight LPS body, shouldn't be any problem at all.

I think it was about 4lbs and 4oz

Actually, is basically that one, but with vintage white paint instead of creme:

NonsenseTele said:
+1 for light tuners if it's neck heavy, perhaps the vintage model:
http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/tuners_lockinggotoh.htm

And the dye for fingerboard won't affect the inlay, but I'm only sure if it's pearl...

Which parts are going on this LPS?

Good to know, I got the pearl dots. As far of parts, the Tonepros TOM set, a single Duncan APH1, single volume (actually ordered a Jazz Bass knob, not sure if it'll fit, but if it does it'll look cool  :icon_smile: ) All black hardware, should look totally badass  :guitarplayer2:. Getting the SS6115, wich I think I'll love. Fat neck, similar to an Epi SG I got that feels confy, hope it turns ok!

Mine has the strap button on the horn and I like it.  I understand what folks have said about weight of tuners, but the Planet Waves tuners I have I really like because of how functional they are.  I would trade the strap button placement for the tuners.

LPS-1.jpg

I want to put the planet wave tuners on this thing, but other projects are first.  Just an opinion...
Patrick

Patrick from Davis said:
Mine has the strap button on the horn and I like it.  I understand what folks have said about weight of tuners, but the Planet Waves tuners I have I really like because of how functional they are.  I would trade the strap button placement for the tuners.

LPS-1.jpg

I want to put the planet wave tuners on this thing, but other projects are first.  Just an opinion...
Patrick

That's one beautiful guitar!
I'm leaning towards the strap on the horn scenario right now

And by the way, anyone has any input on the type of case it would fit in (especially a slimmer one, like an SG's?)

This is not a great shot, but it shows the strap button placement at the heel. Balance is excellent.

did you drill through the neckplate? I was thinking of doing this for a future project.

GoDrex said:
did you drill through the neckplate? I was thinking of doing this for a future project.

Yes. There were no dramas. The position isn't all that critical. I located the hole along the centre line just forward of the centre of the plate.

A drill bit that matches the hole in the strap button should do the trick. Attach the plate then drill into the heel (with the appropriate bit for the screw thread obviously).

If your intention is to use one of the fancy plates you may want to try it with a plain one first in case you decide you don't like it there after all.

As was previously suggested, an extra long screw into one of the existing neck holes is an option. Even if you don't like the idea it could be used to test the concept at minimum outlay.

Hope this helps.

My Warmoth SG neck strap button. I drilled right through the plate - worked out great!

black_neck_plate.jpg

Nice!

I'm still deciding though... seems either one would be a good idea. If I lean towards the strap button in the plate, I'd probably have the luthier doing it, though

I'll be doing the ebony stain thing. I'll let you know how it turns out!

What I'm still unsure is about the case thing... Where do you guys keep the LPS?

All in all, I can't wait fot the parts to arrive!!!  :party07:

I have a carved top (chambered body) LPS with a wenge/ebony neck and '59 Roundback profile. I originally put the strap button on the upper horn, but the neck dive was pretty bad. The upper horn on the LPS is much shorter than a Strat upper horn, so the balance is very different. I moved the strap button to the neck plate and it helped the neck dive a lot. The only problem I had then was that the guitar wanted to flip forward, so I ended up adding some weight to the control cavity. The thing feels perfect now. Make sure you post some pictures when your guitar is finished, it sounds like an awesome build!
-Bob

bob7point7 said:
I have a carved top (chambered body) LPS with a wenge/ebony neck and '59 Roundback profile. I originally put the strap button on the upper horn, but the neck dive was pretty bad. The upper horn on the LPS is much shorter than a Strat upper horn, so the balance is very different. I moved the strap button to the neck plate and it helped the neck dive a lot. The only problem I had then was that the guitar wanted to flip forward, so I ended up adding some weight to the control cavity. The thing feels perfect now. Make sure you post some pictures when your guitar is finished, it sounds like an awesome build!
-Bob

The more I think about it, ti seems to be personal preference, there's pepople here whoe prefer the balance with the button on the horn and others in the plate. I'll try to test it with the guitar once I have it

Thanks guys for your guidance, and sure, pics will be up as soom as i get it!

Back