Soloist controls layout

Max Headroom

Hello,

Can anyone confirm if the Soloist controls layout matches the Strat controls layout, i.e. spacing of the holes and blade switch cutout?
I would like to use an Obsidian Wire control kit meant for a Strat in a flat-top Soloist body if possible. I suppose I could always order the Soloist body with just the switch and volume holes pre-drilled then drill the other 2 holes myself to suit the wiring kit.

Thanks

Topdawer

I have the same question. Would love to use an Obsidian HH harness on a flat top Soloist, but am unsure if the hole and switch spacing on the Soloist matches a rear routed Strat body.

stratamania

The blade switch cutout will be similar but on the three controls it may be the same but it is better to not assume it is.

@J-Bones would you happen to know?

Or alternatively, contact Warmoth sales /customer services.

J-Bones

The blade switch cutout will be similar but on the three controls it may be the same but it is better to not assume it is.

@J-Bones would you happen to know?

Or alternatively, contact Warmoth sales /customer services.
I don't know if the positioning is 100% identical, but I believe the vol/tone hole spacing is 1-3/4" apart (center to center) for both pickguards and rear rout. Pretty sure. Mostly.

teleme01

would the obsidian work if not placed on a pickguard, long shaft pots verse short shaft?

stratamania

would the obsidian work if not placed on a pickguard, long shaft pots verse short shaft?

That is a good point and it probably will not as the pots will be too short for a rear rout. Obsidian's approach seems to be drop in kits for Strats, Teles and Les Pauls so they may not offer an option for long shaft pots on a strat harness. I suppose the OP, @Max Headroom, would have to reach out to them to check.

J-Bones

For the longest time, I always used long-shaft pots, but I recently put EMGs in a couple of my Soloists and their short-shaft parts seemed to work fine, to my surprise. That said, to the best of my knowledge we've never tested any pre-wired harnesses--Obisidian or otherwise--so I couldn't make you any promises.

Max Headroom

That is a good point and it probably will not as the pots will be too short for a rear rout. Obsidian's approach seems to be drop in kits for Strats, Teles and Les Pauls so they may not offer an option for long shaft pots on a strat harness. I suppose the OP, @Max Headroom, would have to reach out to them to check.
I already have the Obsidian kit since I found it on a clearance sale. I will check and let you all know.