Sold my last store bought guitar

David

I just sold my Gretsch Brian Setzer Hot Rod guitar and it was my only store-bought guitar.  So now I have 5 electric guitars now, and they are all entirely Warmoth.  The options I have with Warmoth have spoiled me so other guitars always feel like I am making some compromise and not getting exactly what I want.

Haha, I know what you mean, I sold all 3 of my store-bought guitars, and I'm in the process of building my first Warmoth! (first of several!) I got tired of not having exactly what I wanted in my guitars!

I think about it everyday.  I have exactly one store-bought guitar left, my workhorse Gibson SG.  If the economy wasn't in the tank, and I thought I could get a reasonable price for it, I would have done it already, much as I love it.  I want another Warmoth!

If W built acoustics they would own me completely, unless they went the Taylor bolt-on approach. I do want a jazzbox though, I cruise ebay looking at epiphone elitists once in a while. Someday.

I've still got a couple of Ricks and an old yamaha acoustic.  I still have the ricks because of  sentimental value, and also because I don't have a W 12 string.  Yet.

I've still got 3 Jacksons, 3 Ibanez's, and a Gibson.  I've thought about selling the Gibson. 

I have three heritages, two archtops and one super strat (from the first coupple of years) will never sell them..

David said:
I just sold my Gretsch Brian Setzer Hot Rod guitar and it was my only store-bought guitar.  So now I have 5 electric guitars now, and they are all entirely Warmoth.  The options I have with Warmoth have spoiled me so other guitars always feel like I am making some compromise and not getting exactly what I want.
Duuuuuuuuude, a good friend of mine is a huge Setzer fan, and loves his sig Gretsch's. He would have a corinary if he heard that.... :laughing11:

DangerousR6 said:
Duuuuuuuuude, a good friend of mine is a huge Setzer fan, and loves his sig Gretsch's. He would have a corinary if he heard that.... :laughing11:

It was a great guitar, but I never played it.  I just never felt a bond with it.  Guitars are weird that way.  I have more of an emotional connection with them than any other possession.

my set neck les paul and my jap 335 clone - warmoth cannot substitute for either.

but yea i'm already looking at my 3rd warmoth build now.

tfarny said:
If W built acoustics they would own me completely, unless they went the Taylor bolt-on approach. 

Don't knock the bolt on acoustic designs, they are very solid and when you have to reset the neck in 20 years you'll be glad you have bolts and not a dovetail. LMI sells some great acoustic kits if you're ready to take the plunge.

Both Breedloves and Taylors sound terrible to me, actually - I don't know if it's the wood (I know it's partially the wood), or the bolt neck. Give me a Martin, Larrivee, Guild, or the rare good Gibson and day.

+1 on the Larrivee. But if we're going in that direction, Lowden (and their "budget" Avalon) guitars are freakin superb.

I agree about the sound of Taylors and Breedloves, but I don't blame it on the bolt-on neck. I have played wonderful bolt ons. I am not really sold on the Martin acoustic sounds either!

I sold my US Vintage '62 Strat that I had for 10 years.  I rarely played it after building my Warmoth Strat.  My Warmoth feels, plays, sounds, and (not so importantly) looks way better than my Fender ever did.  In fairness, I should mention that my Strat was a WELL played '90 model, and the frets were already a little worn when I bought it used.

As much as I like My 7 W builds, and those are all I play. I would love to have some Vintage or otherwise collectable valueble guitars.

The Brian Setzer Guitar sounds like one I might have kept. 

If W guitars went up in price, I'd build one a week  ie...I got a buddy with an original '64 strat worth $25,000 (or less now) maybe it's a '59, or 62, whatever, i don't remeber

Back