so, what is necessary?

bobrieno

Since I am still new to this, I need to know what do I have to order to get a 100% playable bass? So, we have the obvious things...neck, body, and strings. What do I need to get a completed project. So, two lists....things that are absolutely necessary : Things that are cool add-ons or extras. I have never done this before and don't know what I have to specify to them when I order. I don't want to have something stupid happen, like I forgot to specify that I wanted a nut at the top of my neck when I ordered the neck and got my bass and it had no nut. So when I order certain things, what comes with them? Thank you in advance.

It depends of what you're building... You'll build a P Bass it has some differences from a Gecko...

bridge, pickups, potentiometers, jack, tuners, nut, string retainer, capacitors, copper shielding is very good.........

The absolute minimum to make a bass guitar is going to be a neck, nut, tuners, body, bridge, pickup and jack.  Depending upon the woods you'll need to incorporate finishing into your budget.
You'll probably want volume and tone controls as well, and its not that much more for those.

Everything else isn't required for a functioning bass.

iamtak said:
The absolute minimum to make a bass guitar is going to be a neck, nut, tuners, body, bridge, pickup and jack.  Depending upon the woods you'll need to incorporate finishing into your budget.
You'll probably want volume and tone controls as well, and its not that much more for those.

Everything else isn't required for a functioning bass.

without a neck plate and screws the neck will fall off.  :laughing7:

I do it geographically - from the headstock down. Things like tuning pegs, necks & bodies are kinda easy - hello - it's the little guys that'll trip you up. String guides, capacitors - WIRE - Warmoth sells most screws separately, Ebay stuff usually includes screws, but I upgrade screws a lot - "Go long, young man." http://www.gold-eagle.com/editorials_04/chuhran020204.html

Ummm -

TOOLS. :toothy10:
TOOLS. :hello2:
TOOLS.
:blob7:

There are people here who've spent $7,000 to build half a dozen guitars with nail files, staplers and hammers and they still don't round their fret ends or multimeter their pots>>> G@d knows what they clean their toilet or brush their teeth with. :eek:

Back