So what can you buy at Guitar Center?

GC sucks.  Don't go there.  If you do, and it pisses you off...just remember what I said.

Markoooooo said:
is that 'the guitar shop' on beltline in Richardson? He's great, and does good set-ups!

what part of Dallas do you live ?
Yes! Gary rules! I need a nut fix on my '57 LP Custom that I'll be bringing him soon.

I'm in the 'burbs of Frisco.

ah brilliant!
we now have Garland, Plano, Frisco, Denton and Greenville!
you should join our next north texas warmoth 'get together' :)

BTW:  I like to refer to them as Guitar Denter.

There are a bunch in the Baltimore D/C area.

It's true, the NEW stuff hanging on the walls is seldom "new."

Watershed said:
It's true, the NEW stuff hanging on the walls is seldom "new."

About four months ago, my wife and I were checking out basses there. She liked a Schecter, but it was scratched to high hell. They had a used one of the exact same model for $200 less, that looked like it was straight out of the box. Go figure.

crimethink said:

I think Markoo lists me as the "Denton," which is the closest recognizable city to me if you've never been here, but physically, I'm in Oak Point/Little Elm.  Not too far from the burbs of Frisco.

The fine print list of GC's 10% that is N/A, that is usually negotiable.  As for Fender, it's usually the SRV and other high$ that it doesn't apply to.  GC does do price matching.  Most namebrand online competitors do have cheaper prices, do offer free delivery, and because they're in a state with no sales tax, you can get it cheaper than in TX.  So, take the printed off info with bottomline, to your frontdoor price in GC.  Their policy says they'll beat it.  If they don't, you don't have to buy from them.

Also, you can buy an item with the 10% off coupon, return later (within 30 days) without the receipt.  They have a record of the sale, but not always the selling price.  You now have store credit for a larger amount than you paid which can be used for the N/A items.

GC takes full advantage of its customers at every turn, so I have no problem taking full advantage of their generous return policy.

For instance, I never try effects in the store... if I want to know what a pedal sounds like, I'll buy it, take it home, play it through my rig, and return it the next day.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
crimethink said:

I think Markoo lists me as the "Denton," which is the closest recognizable city to me if you've never been here, but physically, I'm in Oak Point/Little Elm.  Not too far from the burbs of Frisco.

oops sorry, keep on forgetting that - it's denton county though, right???

Yeah, Denton County.  And Denton is fine, that's usually where I tell people I live.  I only clarified (short of my actual address) because Crimethink maybe less than 10 minutes away from me.

I bought a cheap acoustic guitar there a few months ago and lol it didn't come with a case (yeah right) They wanted to charge me $180 bucks for a $10 softcase(on $200 guitarI) I  should have walked away with nothing, but I walked out of the store with a naked guitar. I looked pretty silly.

I got my first bass at GC, before I knew anything. The rep just finished setting a guy up with a 200w Acoustic head with a 610 Ampeg cab. Today, that would have tipped me off.

Anyways I took the cheapo bass home and the nut cracked, so I took it back to the store. They offered to fix it for $40. I paid it, leaving my bass and gig bag there per instructions.

When I came back for it, the nut had splinters coming off of it, the case was missing and it had two dents in the back. I raised hell as they swore I didn't leave my case and now my guitar was damaged, until they offered to buy it from me as a used piece for $200 less than what I'd paid for it a week or so ago. I just took it home and sold it on Craigslist for $100 more than what they offered.

That would have been the end with GC, but I had a chance for some revenge. MusiciansFriend had a typo on their website, listing a new Warwick Corvette Standard 5 for $400. I printed it off, took it to the store and told them to match the price. The manager said the website was a mistake and they weren't about to lose money on the deal. Same manager that f'd me on the previous occasion.

One of my friends showed up to buy strings and I showed him the ad and suddenly he wanted a Corvette too.. ..and Mr. Manager, in interest of damage control, shooed me out the door with a $400 Corvette.

Never did like that bass, so I sold it on Craigslist again for more than I paid for it. But I felt vindicated.

knucklehead G said:
I got my first bass at GC, before I knew anything. The rep just finished setting a guy up with a 200w Acoustic head with a 610 Ampeg cab. Today, that would have tipped me off.

Anyways I took the cheapo bass home and the nut cracked, so I took it back to the store. They offered to fix it for $40. I paid it, leaving my bass and gig bag there per instructions.

When I came back for it, the nut had splinters coming off of it, the case was missing and it had two dents in the back. I raised hell as they swore I didn't leave my case and now my guitar was damaged, until they offered to buy it from me as a used piece for $200 less than what I'd paid for it a week or so ago. I just took it home and sold it on Craigslist for $100 more than what they offered.

That would have been the end with GC, but I had a chance for some revenge. MusiciansFriend had a typo on their website, listing a new Warwick Corvette Standard 5 for $400. I printed it off, took it to the store and told them to match the price. The manager said the website was a mistake and they weren't about to lose money on the deal. Same manager that f'd me on the previous occasion.

One of my friends showed up to buy strings and I showed him the ad and suddenly he wanted a Corvette too.. ..and Mr. Manager, in interest of damage control, shooed me out the door with a $400 Corvette.

Never did like that bass, so I sold it on Craigslist again for more than I paid for it. But I felt vindicated.

LOL, that's awesome!

in Canada our Guitar Centre like asinine instrument store is a coin toss between Long & McQuade and Mothers Music.

One thing I like about the "mom & pop" shops is the service for sure.  There's a couple of pretty big stores up in calgary that are independantly owned.  The most popular is probably Axe Music (or at least they were for a long while) and they're okay, but they're getting a little big and faceless now too.  When I was up this weekend buying all of my studio gear I went to Mothers Music because one of my professors told me he knew the store manager and gave him a ton of business, so I was supposed to call and namedrop my professor to get some deals.  Well it did work out.. kinda.  I think i saved 50 bucks on about 600 dollars worth of stuff.  Not much help but 50 bucks is 50 bucks.  In any case I had planned to go to Axe Music after I was there to pickup my studio monitors because I knew they were there and in stock.  When I was at the till i was telling him i had to get going quickly because I had to stop there before we left town and I only had about 90 minutes before we had to be back on the road again.  And he said "don't swear in my store".  Yeah he was joking, but he was only kinda joking.  I find that a lot of places in big cities are like that.  "oh my gosh don't mention that name in my holy store"  and it really makes me not want to deal with those stores.

In Lethbridge where I live there were 6 music stores (population ~100,000 so thats a fair amount) And I'd go to one and I'd ask if they had something or if they could get something in for me.  And the guy (who knows me by name and will BS with me when I'm in the store so long as he isn't too busy) will say He saw something similar at one of the other stores, (if they can't get it in) or that he is pretty sure the other store has such and such a distributor and could probably get it.  And then he'll actually pick up the phone and call that place and ask them if they've got one.

"hey I got a guy here that wants a thing, have you got a thing? .... ... ... Oh okay can I send him over, you guys will take care of him?"

THATS service.

Forget this idea that you have to be loyal to a brand or a chain.  I am obviously loyal to the shops that I like.  But I don't have to be 100% exclusive to fufill my sense of loyalty.

knucklehead G said:

The funny thing about this is that Guitar Center owns Musicians Friend. :)

taez555 said:
knucklehead G said:

Guitar Center owns Musicians Friend??? That is weird cause GC price matched a price for me off of MF.com. I've also noticed that like 6 other sites have the same inventory as MF. Musician.com, Music123.com, Brass and String.com, and some others. I guess they want to make it appear that there is competition, but it is a monopoly.

back2thefutre said:
taez555 said:
knucklehead G said:

Guitar Center owns Musicians Friend??? That is weird cause GC price matched a price for me off of MF.com. I've also noticed that like 6 other sites have the same inventory as MF. Musician.com, Music123.com, Brass and String.com, and some others. I guess they want to make it appear that there is competition, but it is a monopoly.

Standard Oil did it for years.

Back