So, I went to the shooting range today...

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Master Member
& I was surprised that I shot worth a crap, since it's been close to 5 years since I've been there.

First clip/target, shot a few spoilers down below due to "clinching" anticipating the shot, but Osama dies anyway.

Weapon of choice is my faithful Taurus PT100 chambered in .40S&W. I've had it for about 13 years now, and she's not leaving me anytime soon.

TFS_OsamaTarget_05072009.jpg

Then the next clip, I'm a bit warmed up,
TFS_TaurusPT1001st_05072009.jpg

My buddy rented several pistols from the rangemaster, this is my first attempt with the Smith & Wesson model 99, also in .40 S&W.  Again, with the spoilers down below not knowing when the trigger pull releases, anticipating the shot.
TFSSnW9901_05072009.jpg

and a warm up with the S&W proves a tad better
TFSSnW9902_05072009.jpg

Nice shots.  Remind me not to piss you off. 

This makes me wish I had taken some photos of my targets when I was on the archery team. 

Nice shooting Squirrel, .40 S&W is my fav caliber. But usually when I carry, I carry my trusty Kahr PM45...
Top 3 are .40 S&W. Center bottom is Kahr PM45
2421378215_8a34015d5a.jpg

OBL = pwned!   :hello2:  Good work, now head to the Afghan mountains and find the real thing.   :tard:

He's been dead for six years (diabetic! no insulin!) and is hidden under Cheney's bunker on dry ice - didn't you know? They re-animate him to make those vids once in a while to scare everyone into voting righty.
Seriously, the guy must have been dead for years. Notice that before the election, Obama's going "you didn't find UBL" and afterwards, not a peep, just like Bush from 2002 onwards?

I always thought it was weird how everyone was so intent on specifically finding him when there are tons of other terrorist organizations out there who haven't already blown their wad on a large scale attack.  It's kind of like being afraid of a bee that already stung you when you're standing next to an entire hive.  I think he is long dead anyways.  But I did think the Osama toilet paper was funny. 

Dead Osama = no Iraq war.... he's been worth far more alive. In 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008, each major US-based oil company posted "record" profits, the record being broken was their own from each previous year. Completely excluding oil and social costs the price tag for the Iraq war so far is about 1.2 to 1.3 TRILLION dollars, over half of that "wasted" in defense contract overruns & no-bid contracts - unless you're a defense contractor.  :evil4: 25 million for a dead Osama or trillions alive, and an oilman in the White House... gee whiz. He made some tapes clearly referring to the US 2008 presidential election, but he's been irrelevant except for fundraising purposes for years now. We sure do need to bring back assassination, as a budget-control tool for foreign policy.

I used a shotgun about 2 times. I have no Idea what it was all I know that it was one of the most powerful shotguns legal here in Aus and ol' skippy was literally blown away by it.  :laughing7:

I've shot ol' Osama with a 45.. good times.. I also like to take my 30-06 to the 100 yard range.. great way to unwind and bruise the sholder heh.

I need to take my Glock 30 (.45ACP) out and shoot it because it's been over a year since I shot it or anything. The only range that is close is indoors and 25 yards which is worthless for rifles unless you want to calculate 25 yards to 25 meters and battle zero your sights... 25 meters being the B Zero distance used prior to our qualifying with M-16s at 200m, 300m & 500m when I was in the Marines. There's an outdoor range west of Ft. Worth that goes out to 1,000 yards and I've been wanting to take my Mk12 out there but it's like a 4-hour drive round-trip.

I find myself reminiscing about the good ol' days... before PNAC's holy global empire oil wars... when you could get Lake City surplus 5.56mm M855 for $0.16 a round when you bought a case but now all I can find is on Cheaper Than Dirt where a 1,000 rounds is $800 or $0.80 a round. Even non-armor piercing M193 from decent manufacturers is as high as it is scarce in bulk quantities. Price wise there's not much difference in buying M262 match ammo with regards to the price of standard ball or SS109 ammo.

I go back and forth in my expensive hobbies...I've been shooting less and less lately and spending more on guitar gear, but I'm sure the pendulum will swing back one of these days.  I collect surplus rifles, and I have several Lee Enfields...I'd like to round out the collection with an old Martini-Henry one of these days, but they are only getting rarer and more expensive by the day.

If you want a fun gun...get yourself a Saiga 12ga.  Magazine fed, Kalashnikov-based shotgun.  They have 10rd stick mags and 20rd drums available.  Boy that thing is fun to unload with, and not too hard on the shoulder either!

Wana's_makin'_a_guitar said:
I used a shotgun about 2 times. I have no Idea what it was all I know that it was one of the most powerful shotguns legal here in Aus and ol' skippy was literally blown away by it.  :laughing7:

That could have been a 12 gauge shotgun, Wana, using a heavy shot like BB or SG shot (only 9 balls in the slug and they are a lot bigger than duck hunting slugs like No. 4 or 6 shot). Or, you could have been using 'solids' which is just a solid slug in the shot. But if you were using a solid, there's every chance you'd know about it - they usually increase the recoil significantly on a shot gun.  :sad:  :eek:

12 gauge is the most common shotgun these days. They also had a 20 gauge some years back (elephant gun!) and the little orchard gun (410 gauge) which was used for vermin shooting in orchards and barns.

With roos, and using a shotgun, you'd have to either sneak up close to them or be lucky with a snapshot of them as they rushed close by you. You'd have only about 50 yards range.

TonyFlyingSquirrel, what range were you at for those results? I carried a .38 S&W Police Special for years in my old job, and if I got further out than 15 metres I couldn't hit the side of the barn with it. Mind you, it was a service revolver not a target pistol.

15 Yards, since it had been a while, I felt it would be best to practice at a practical distance & fine-tune my chops until I was able to group like that at 25 years, which I haven't done in quite a few years.

OzziePete said:
Wana's_makin'_a_guitar said:

That could have been a 12 gauge shotgun, Wana, using a heavy shot like BB or SG shot (only 9 balls in the slug and they are a lot bigger than duck hunting slugs like No. 4 or 6 shot). Or, you could have been using 'solids' which is just a solid slug in the shot. But if you were using a solid, there's every chance you'd know about it - they usually increase the recoil significantly on a shot gun.  :sad:  :eek:

12 gauge is the most common shotgun these days. They also had a 20 gauge some years back (elephant gun!) and the little orchard gun (410 gauge) which was used for vermin shooting in orchards and barns.

With roos, and using a shotgun, you'd have to either sneak up close to them or be lucky with a snapshot of them as they rushed close by you. You'd have only about 50 yards range.

TonyFlyingSquirrel, what range were you at for those results? I carried a .38 S&W Police Special for years in my old job, and if I got further out than 15 metres I couldn't hit the side of the barn with it. Mind you, it was a service revolver not a target pistol.
Well all I know is that I shot at it, and I most definitely missed, I shot again and it then fell over.  :laughing7:  Beginners luck I guess  :dontknow:

Nice groups tony.

Getting a pistol in Canada is a pain.  But I hear good things about Taurus, I've wanted to try one out for a long time.

I've never fired an automatic but I have shot a .22 revolver and a .38 special/.357 mag revolver.  I couldn't believe how fuggin loud those things were.  I can only assume an automatic would be a great deal quieter.

I went hunting this year for the first time in about 5 years.  Fired 3 shots and managed to get the buck in the neck (he was facing me) at 550 yards with the 3rd one. .270 Winchester with a 4x scope.  Not bad for the only 3 shots I"ve fired in 60 months.

NonsenseTele said:
OzziePete said:
Or, you could have been using 'solids' which is just a solid slug in the shot.

I want it! :glasses9:

Ha ha, I argued (in jest) with my supervisor when I worked at Sydney Airport (years ago) that I could walk around with a 20" barrelled shotgun with solids and be more effective than the usual .38 S & W Police Special revolver, but I couldn't get him interested!  :icon_biggrin:

Letting off a shotgun in a confined space would have been awesome to hear. :headbang1:

Back