So, I went to the shooting range today...

When I was checking the weather on my computer there was a little eye-teaser blurb, among others, that said "Stop Aggressive Driving!" I immediately thought,

"Stop Aggressive Driving! Shoot to Kill!"

I clicked on it anyway and it was advice like "Don't make eye contact" - "pull over and let the aggressor past" - "report to the authorities" etc. I'll bet mine works better..... :cool01: I wanna TANK....

I've never fired a gun.  As far as I know I've never held or touched a real gun for that matter...  :icon_scratch:  I keep meaning to learn to shoot even though I don't feel any desire to own a gun.  Just seems like it might come in handy some time.

I have fired a gun, but never shot something..
The guy who owned the gun kept going on and on about how great it feels to Kill 'something'.
Now I can understand the thrill of shooting targets, I can also kinda understand that some people like to shoot animals for food.
But I just don't get the 'kill something' just for the great feeling.
It must be part of American culture. Or maybe people need to feel that they are superior to other animals.

Don't get me wrong, I am not some kind of PETA type.. I actually love eating all kinds of animals.

here's another thing I don't get:
WTF is she going to do with it? Eat it???

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20090507/twl-american-kills-elephant-with-bow-for-3fd0ae9.html

seems pointless to me..

Hand guns are made for killin
Aint no good for nothin else
And if you like your whiskey
You might even shoot yourself
So why dont we dump em people
To the bottom of the sea
Before some fool come around here
Wanna shoot either you or me

--Skynyrd

Well, they certainly are weapons, too be taken quite seriously and safefly, but they can also be used for recreation.  I use my rifles for hunting and nothing else.  I get my practice with them at the range to hone my skills.  My sidearm is for protection for the mostpart, but once back in 1993 I couldn't get to my rifle in time and a buck was standing about 20yards from me, so I pulled my sidearm, and got lucky with a round to the neck, dropping him, and adding to the freezer full of meat.

I'm not sure if I've got it in me to take a large (or small) animal's life for sport. I've kinda got Marko's opinion. Targets are fun. I doubt I'll need the gun for protection, and since I'll not be using it for hunting, I think renting it at a range is all I need. Besides, if I get kids, that gun could be a major hazard. Well, I wouldn't trust myself with it some days.

It's a pre-requisite in Texas to graduate High School, you have to take Gunsmithing, and your insurance goes down at 21 when you buy a pistol.... :headbang1:

DangerousR6 said:
It's a pre-requisite in Texas to graduate High School, you have to take Gunsmithing, and your insurance goes down at 21 when you buy a pistol.... :headbang1:
Sounds like Texas...

Max said:
DangerousR6 said:
Sounds like Texas...
1el_fabio.gif

If someone was stalking me, I'd get a gun.  It's the only sure fire way (excuse the expression) to know that I could overpower a man who wants to hurt me.  Unless he also has a gun, in which case I think I'd have a 50/50 chance because I'm a good shot. 

hannaugh said:
If someone was stalking me, I'd get a gun.  It's the only sure fire way (excuse the expression) to know that I could overpower a man who wants to hurt me.  Unless he also has a gun, in which case I think I'd have a 50/50 chance because I'm a good shot. 
peepwallA.gif

I don't trophy hunt, I hunt for food.  No heads on my wall, but there are a few buck-skins packed away.

It is very tasteful, and very lean.

Well, I'm a vegetarian so hunting is pretty much out for me.  (Maybe I could hunt Venus fly traps?  :help:)  Obviously shooting at targets is good clean fun, though.  The problem I have with guns is that usually, when someone gets really pissed off and loses control, he punches the other guy in the face.  Ow.  But if you have a gun and get really pissed off and lose control, you will pile up the bodies.  Guns just raise the stakes of every confrontation from "ow" to death.

Self defense is another question.  I lived in one of the roughest areas of Chicago for four years and I got into precisely one physical altercation.  It was a crazy guy on the El, and I just threw him off bodily at the next stop.  I don't regret not having a gun, and I'm sure as hell glad he didn't have one!  Now I live in a small city where I've never even heard of a mugging.

What I do like about the US is the though that there are more 'good' people with guns than 'bad' people with guns..

As opposed to europe, where only the bad ones own (illegal) guns :)

dbw said:
Self defense is another question.  I lived in one of the roughest areas of Chicago for four years and I got into precisely one physical altercation.  It was a crazy guy on the El, and I just threw him off bodily at the next stop.  I don't regret not having a gun, and I'm sure as hell glad he didn't have one!  Now I live in a small city where I've never even heard of a mugging.

Yeah see, depending on the size of the guy, I probably wouldn't be able to throw the guy anywhere.  If I lived somewhere shiesty, I would have a gun.  The risks are a little different for women.  I have a couple of years of karate and self defense training, and pepper spray, but the thing is neither of those things are reliable.  If I got attacked, I think that I could probably just say "I have a gun", and the dude would back off.  But somehow saying "I know karate, and like 2 other Japanese words" just doesn't have the same power, and if my pepper spray gets clogged (which apparently is a pretty common occurrence with that stuff), I'm screwed. 

I was on the archery team for a while in college, so I know I'm a pretty decent shot there.  My buddy goes shooting sometimes.  If anyone tries to attack her or her sister, they are seriously in trouble.  I think over the summer we're going to have a target practice day and we'll go to the shooting range and the archery range and have some fun, since they've never shot with a bow before.  I would like to be well informed about gun safety and all that good stuff for future reference too. 

Oh and one other thing.  If I lived somewhere out in the woods where there are cougars and bears, I would have a hand gun, and I would take it with me on my walks.  I wouldn't want to end up like that lady who was walking her dogs and had her face chewed off by a black bear.  Not cool. 

I'm a good person with a gun..  :laughing7:

I have a big ol' remmington rifle, a 30-06.. could probly knock a deer over.. I just like to go to the range, always have since I was a kid. I don't see it as much for home protection.. but it sure is loud as hell, so that would wake the neighbors..  I see it as good clean fun, as I'm safe with it, I grew up with guns and have been educated.  Personal choice in the long run I guess..

Hannaugh: saying I fight Karate or any other martial art wouldn't scarry anyone even if I were saying :laughing7: If you hit the guy much more strong than he thought you could (completely normal to the women who practicize martial arts) would scarry him and makes the idea of leaving looking cool...

But well, you'd have to traine everyday and very hard, that's how the gals punch strong (I fought Tae Kwon Do some time ago and I remember being surprised while getting a punch or kick from them :laughing7: )

Back