So I Have Done This...

Wana's_makin'_a_guitar said:
Did you you do the pencil on the nut and saddles trick?

As in using graphite to lube it up? Not yet, but I'm gonna see if I can't find any graphite around here...

The G-string (giving me the most problems...let the knee-slappers ensue) was attached to a pretty loose tuning key, so I tightened that sucker up, we'll see how she holds up.

Creepies said:
Wana's_makin'_a_guitar said:
Did you you do the pencil on the nut and saddles trick?

As in using graphite to lube it up? Not yet, but I'm gonna see if I can't find any graphite around here...

The G-string (giving me the most problems...let the knee-slappers ensue) was attached to a pretty loose tuning key, so I tightened that sucker up, we'll see how she holds up.
Yeah thats what I mean.

Sounds like either its being held up at the back of the nut or your strings aren't pre-stretched enough.  Grab a string and give it a really good pull upwards away from the body, a good 2-3 inches and then tune that string.  Repeat on all strings until they don't need to be tuned after pulling on em.  Also how many winds do you have around the tuner posts?

The EAD strings aren't giving me problems... I keep hearing a "clink" when I tune or detune the G, which makes me think it's something to do with the nut. Between 3-6 winds per string, they're wound pretty well.

That chinking sound is definitely symptomatic of binding at the nut, usually at the rear end.  Can you give us a pic of the headstock and nut string up?  Also, the less winds the better since most of the "pre-stretching" is simply tightening the string winds around the tuner post. 

Give this a try on your next set of strings
http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=5270.0

Yep - your problem is definitely at the nut.  It's pinching the string and causing the tuning instablilty.  It could be that the slot is too deep, or that it's too tight.

Did you use a set of nut files when you set it up?

The nut was handmade by a luthier; I watched him make the whole thing :). It was effin' cool  :icon_biggrin:.

Okay, so I'm going to try the graphite first and then see if we have the correct file size anywhere round here... Thanks guys

Hummina, hummina, hummina hummina......................

The top on that thing is phenomenal!  I would not recommend staring at it if you have a tab of acid in you--it could possibly blow your mind!  Was the staining and finishing on it done by Warmoth, or did you do it yourself?

Creepies said:
The nut was handmade by a luthier
Give him a call and tell him about the issue with the nut.  You can easily fix it yourself, but if you paid for the job let him fix it.

Discovered that the tuners weren't very tight from the top - fixed much of my problems. A little graphite on the nut helped tremendously as well, and I will indeed be taking it back to my luthier.

Thanks everyone!

Back