So few SGs?

Stage Fright

The SG body style seems to be a fairly rare Warmoth build.  Any ideas why?  :icon_scratch: Comfort?  :sad1: Looks?  :-\

Might be interesting to take a poll on why people like specific body shapes.  Thoughts?

It's the same reason I haven't done an LP build-just can't reconcile the idea of a bolt neck SG.

Some possible things to consider -

SG's are THIN - thinner than Strats and Teles and such.  They're 1-5/8 inches thick, compared to 1-3/4.  Yes that .125 inch of wood makes a difference in the feel and heft and playability.

Scale

Price - you can still get Gibson USA Faded SG's, ready to rock for under $600 with a gig bag, and they play and sound pretty nice, and are the traditional SG in terms of weight and feel and scale.

And... yes the bolt on thing as well.  SG's have the 2nd best upper access out of any guitar I've played.  They're GREAT for that, only behind the V which is king of upper access.

I already have a Gibby SG.  Bought it brand new 8 years ago and for a while it was my only axe.  There is something that I can't quite put my finger on about the way that a Gibson SG feels and plays that I have never gotten from the few "other" brand SG style guitars I have played.  I am also in the camp of believers that guitars that were made to be set-neck just don't feel right when they are made as bolt-ons...though I am not so dogmatic about it that I can't admire those built by others, it's just my personal feeling.  I'll stick to the Teles and Strats.

hey I got two of em, love em both, share that... something about 'em...

SG's are really sweet

SGs are nice but as CB says, they ain't that expensive, second hand you can get yourself a really cheap SG as cool as anything Angus played!

Plus the bolt on thing.

Personally I find SGs a bit too neck heavy, I prefer the Yamaha SG, more les paul like.

I own a Warmoth SG with the thicker body and really love it that way, but you can order the thinner body option too. Playability is great, tone is great, all of your custom options and finishes available....The bolt on construction never crosses my mind while I'm playing or affecting the guitar's performance so I don't have any comment about that. I did A/B my first Warmoth LP against a stock Gibson Les Paul Standard and my LP was fuller, beefier toned and had more sustain. I had put the Rio Grande pickups in it so you would expect mine to be a little hotter in that way. Both guitars sounded and felt great and I wouldn't turn up my nose at either of them, but my LP was built the way I wanted it. I wasn't trying to just copy some OEM guitar, I wanted to do one better that fits me; and I succeeded. That what Warmoth is for, not an SG, but THE SG.

Gregg Stewart said:
... but my LP was built the way I wanted it. I wasn't trying to just copy some OEM guitar, I wanted to do one better that fits me; and I succeeded. That what Warmoth is for, not an SG, but THE SG.
I agree. That's the reason I make my guitars from parts.

My way...  :rock-on:

Warmoth SG bodies rare? They make 'em don't they?

Why do some people like other body shapes and why? 

It's all ice cream.  Some people like chocolate others don't.

After my LP is done I'm going to do a trans green swamp ash Explorer. And then if my wife doesn't divorce me I'm doing an SG - in trans purple. ;)

I thought it would be really cool to do a thin SG with both body and neck in Purpleheart, ebony fretboard and either blocks or traps inlay.

I'm going to contribute to the SG population sometime next year. I'm going for the thinner body with a Cherry Burst finish. It's gonna kick @$$!

:rock-on:

I may do a korina SG with a bigsby and p90s, at some future time too. Gotta love the SG.

<<< My first build was this SG

Way way heavier sounding than any SG I have played. I liked the fact W SG bodies were thicker as I wanted a full and thick tone. Its in the gallery and you'll find SG's are not as rare as you thought.

tfarny said:
I may do a korina SG with a bigsby and p90s, at some future time too. Gotta love the SG.

Add an LR Baggs Tune-o-matic, change on tone control to a master tone, the other into a piezo volume and you'd have a beast.  I like the fact that with the SG, you can drop the piezo wiring through the pick guard and leave the body stock.  :toothy10:

Back