so...any future plans for headless guitars?

DustyCat

I've always been a fan of the H1, the original HMMWV, never an H2 or H3...

But recently I acquired an H2 headless by Carvin and holy cannabis smoke is this guitar a game changer.  :icon_thumright:

There's probably some heavy duty licensing going on here but wow....cheers Carvin and Mr. Holdsworth!  :eek:ccasion14:

But I still want a full scallop on my next one  :cool01:

-DC

I've had in my mind the notion of a good travel guitar, and headless seems the way to go for that application.  It seems like a great idea that doesn't get enough traction, due to trademarks and preconceptions about what a guitar should look like.

It would be interesting to see what the market research shows in terms of actual sales by companies that are doing it currently, associated R&D costs, and if the potential market for these B2C (Business to Consumer) products is enough to not only recuperate the associated R&D costs, but in turn also prove to be profitable.

TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
It would be interesting to see what the market research shows in terms of actual sales by companies that are doing it currently, associated R&D costs, and if the potential market for these B2C (Business to Consumer) products is enough to not only recuperate the associated R&D costs, but in turn also prove to be profitable.

I dunno what you just said mister, but I want a fatter toggle switch on my next headless.

Not quite cow udder fat, but definitely LP chunky  :cool01:

ihnpts said:
There's no reason you couldn't use the Hipshot headless system w/ a paddle headstock. Heck, you could use it on almost ANY headstock with varying degrees of tweaking.

Oh yeah, sure, "use" the "hipshot headless system" on "ALMOST any" headstock with "varying" "degrees " of "tweaking."  :doh:
Cool story bro  :cool01:

...but explain to me this fancy doodad moves the volume knob closer to the Bridge on the body?  :dontknow:

Hehe! Yeah. That's how we got to the moon. Just cause a violent chemical reaction at the ass end of a hermetically sealed tube with "various degrees of tweaking", and POOF! You're there!  :laughing7:

Cagey said:
Hehe! Yeah. That's how we got to the moon. Just cause a violent chemical reaction at the ass end of a hermetically sealed tube with "various degrees of tweaking", and POOF! You're there!  :laughing7:

[INSERT LINUX JOKE HERE]

There's a guy on the Gearpage who has a build thread on his take on a headless using Warmoth parts if anyone's wants to take a look.

DustyCat said:
ihnpts said:
There's no reason you couldn't use the Hipshot headless system w/ a paddle headstock. Heck, you could use it on almost ANY headstock with varying degrees of tweaking.

Oh yeah, sure, "use" the "hipshot headless system" on "ALMOST any" headstock with "varying" "degrees " of "tweaking."  :doh:

...but explain to me this fancy doodad moves the volume knob closer to the Bridge on the body?  :dontknow:

Er, well, you'd have to seriously modify a body or build your own to get that done. Or maybe a Warmoth routed body blank w/a Tele control rout to get it as small as possible.

As for the use of the Hipshot system.... I have done it:
9925459754_2da0c60006_b.jpg

I don't have a better pic of the headstock mod, but it was about 20 minutes of careful dremeling and drilling and voilà! The body I built myself out of a slab of purpleheart, the control & jack are on the top.

ihnpts said:
DustyCat said:
ihnpts said:

Er, well, you'd have to seriously modify a body or build your own to get that done. Or maybe a Warmoth routed body blank w/a Tele control rout to get it as small as possible.

As for the use of the Hipshot system.... I have done it:
9925459754_2da0c60006_b.jpg

I don't have a better pic of the headstock mod, but it was about 20 minutes of careful dremeling and drilling and voilà! The body I built myself out of a slab of purpleheart, the control & jack are on the top.

Simple, yet functional. Thanks for sharing!

Back