So, a buddy of mine gave me this...

Daze of October said:
The shop told me the electronics looked "interesting" and did not look like a factory wiring job.  They couldn't conclude whether it was a true Ibanez body or just a poor copy because it did not have any serial #s or indications it was or wasn't an Ibanez body.  One thing I noticed was inside the electronics cavity, there was a previous finish, which appears to be a sparkly green.  I saw a pic of this on a Star Destroyer when I looked one up on Google for an image of one.

I'm thinking I've had smoke blown up my ass and all this thing got was a bad paint job and hacked up routing job for a tremolo...but what's odd is that from the outside the routing job for the tremolo looks fairly neat...it's the inside that looks like Hell.  :doh:

Yeah, that is an Ibanez DT380.  The hole for the trem was enormous (the ProRock'R was a horrible design), so it wouldn't surprise me if it didn't look right.

AndyG said:
Daze of October said:
The shop told me the electronics looked "interesting" and did not look like a factory wiring job.  They couldn't conclude whether it was a true Ibanez body or just a poor copy because it did not have any serial #s or indications it was or wasn't an Ibanez body.  One thing I noticed was inside the electronics cavity, there was a previous finish, which appears to be a sparkly green.  I saw a pic of this on a Star Destroyer when I looked one up on Google for an image of one.

I'm thinking I've had smoke blown up my ass and all this thing got was a bad paint job and hacked up routing job for a tremolo...but what's odd is that from the outside the routing job for the tremolo looks fairly neat...it's the inside that looks like Hell.  :doh:

Yeah, that is an Ibanez DT380.  The hole for the trem was enormous (the ProRock'R was a horrible design), so it wouldn't surprise me if it didn't look right.

Was it normal for the inside of the cavity to look totally hacked? 

I mentioned earlier it looked like there was a piece set on top of it.  Here's a pic of what I was talking about.  It's hard to see but if you look at the right side of it, the "color" is different.  It may be tough to see...it's like a "seam."

StarDestroyer5.jpg

This pic below is a picture of the "sharp" edge of the body, which has me questioning whether it's a factory job...

StarDestroyer4.jpg

Daze of October said:
Was it normal for the inside of the cavity to look totally hacked? 

I mentioned earlier it looked like there was a piece set on top of it.  Here's a pic of what I was talking about.  It's hard to see but if you look at the right side of it, the "color" is different.  It may be tough to see...it's like a "seam."

StarDestroyer5.jpg

This pic below is a picture of the "sharp" edge of the body, which has me questioning whether it's a factory job...

StarDestroyer4.jpg
The "seam" that you're seeing is actually binding (plastic, I believe).  All of the DT380's had bound bodies ... so that makes it for sure your buddy didn't make this in shop class! 
As far as the trem route being messy, it is possible that more wood had to be removed for the Floyd, as the block on the Floyd is in a different place compared to the Pro Rock'R trem.
If and when you strip the paint off of the body, you'll see what I mean about the binding (so be careful, or you'll destroy it!)  You'll find that it is a basswood body, and probably mulitple pieces glued together.

AutoBat said:
I'd say he 'built' it by redoing the finish, electrics, and trem.

That's pretty much the conclusion my wife and I came to.  I guess at the ripe age of 37 years old, he still hasn't outgrown the "storytelling phase."  :tard:

Found this one for sale on eBay.  This will give you an idea what the guitar (and the trem cavity) are supposed to look like  :glasses9:

Attachments

• White DT.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 316
AndyG said:
Found this one for sale on eBay.  This will give you an idea what the guitar (and the trem cavity) are supposed to look like  :glasses9:

Thanks for that!  The trem cavity on this one is totally butchered.  I'm guessing it was part of his "build."  I'll get some pics of it up later.

Definately seems like one of them guitars thats been a tad butchered, Maybe that's too strong a word.
Rescue that axe and restore it  :headbang1:
I mean if it is BS that he made it if he just gave you it for free then if you can rescue it, you'll be one up on him.

SolomonHelsing said:
Definately seems like one of them guitars thats been a tad butchered, Maybe that's too strong a word.
Rescue that axe and restore it  :headbang1:
I mean if it is BS that he made it if he just gave you it for free then if you can rescue it, you'll be one up on him.

True.  I think it certainly has some potential, but I'm not sure it's worth really doing to the Nth degree; expensive neck, top-notch electronics, brand new Floyd, etc...

Daze of October said:
AutoBat said:

That's pretty much the conclusion my wife and I came to.  I guess at the ripe age of 37 years old, he still hasn't outgrown the "storytelling phase."  :tard:

He likely thinks that taking an Ibanez and modding it is "building" a guitar, so he's really not lying. It's not far removed from the debate about if you've actually "built" a guitar when you're bolting parts together. I bought a pre-finished Warmoth body, bought a bunch of other pats, and screwed it all together. Did I "build" a guitar? At what point does modding/assembling become building? He built that out of an Ibanez.

I'm not saying I agree with him if this is the case (I don't), but I can see where someone who's not all that "into it" might think that way.

DesmoDog said:
Daze of October said:
AutoBat said:

He likely thinks that taking an Ibanez and modding it is "building" a guitar, so he's really not lying. It's not far removed from the debate about if you've actually "built" a guitar when you're bolting parts together. I bought a pre-finished Warmoth body, bought a bunch of other pats, and screwed it all together. Did I "build" a guitar? At what point does modding/assembling become building? He built that out of an Ibanez.

I'm not saying I agree with him if this is the case (I don't), but I can see where someone who's not all that "into it" might think that way.

Yeah, that's kinda my thinking.

Well, I found out some "interesting" news. 

The cat is out of the bag.  This guitar IS in fact an Ibanez Star Destroyer.  This myth is BUSTED. 

Apparently, my buddy's idea of "building" a guitar is to take an existing model, slightly modify the existing body's shape, and to gouge out a hardtail to accept a "who-knows-what" branded tremolo.  :icon_scratch:

So, basically it's exactly what we all kinda figured it was. 

Yep, I feel a bit...  :tard:

Daze of October said:

Don't feel stupid.
This was an interesting CSI venture you took us on  :icon_thumright:

Just imagine if you found out it was some mystery guitar from way back, that was owned and played by someone famous.
Dead or Alive

Jackpot !!

Updown said:
Daze of October said:

Don't feel stupid.
This was an interesting CSI venture you took us on  :icon_thumright:

Just imagine if you found out it was some mystery guitar from way back, that was owned and played by someone famous.
Dead or Alive

Jackpot !!

Yeah, he is famous...in his own mind!  :doh:

Well, FWIW, I'm gonna take some detailed pics, and see what the assessment is as far as modifying this thing (if possible) to accept a full-on, floating Floyd.  IMO, this thing's a total hack.  It has some strange trem on it now that I've personally never seen before, plus it's not a floater.  I want to modify it for a full-on floating trem.

Pics to come later...

Back