SNAGG microchip

hannaugh

Master Member
Has anyone used a SNAGG microchip?  It sounds like a great idea... if every store had the SNAGG scanner.  I can't seem to find any info on the number of shops that actually have the scanner.  It seems like this would be way better if it had some sort of LoJack technology in conjunction with it.

www.snagg.com

My cat has an RFID chip... makes sense to put 'em in guitars too, as both cats and guitars tend to wander off if you leave them alone....

I've been considering it, but I have the same caveat.  How many dealers or cops actually have and or use it. 

It's only $25USD and gives me a slightly better chance to recover something valuable.  "SNAGG Microchips are installed in Carvin, Baker, DeTemple and Fender Custom Shop guitars"
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Accessories/Security.html

DocNrock said:
Parted out on E-bay?
A microchip embedded in the body before the top is glued on, and in the neck before the fingerboard is glued on :p Shove it in the pickups somewhere, same with tuners. Repeat with pots, hardware, and caps, and finally... tag your strings.

Not worth it.  My stepdad had Lo Jack for computers in a laptop at the office.  It was stolen so he activated it and gave the information to the cops.  They refused to go and do anything about it saying that they did not have probable cause. 

Screw the cops.  If someone steals my guitar or hurts my dog, I come looking for it personally... with my shotgun.  Better yet, my ex-Marine neighbor will go looking for them with his shotgun.  He'd do it if I asked him. 

The neighborhood his computer was in you'd be outgunned with a shotgun.  MS13 is all over that place.  That might be what did it.  The cops didn't want to get shot over a laptop.

Dude, that sucks.  I hate criminals. 

I plan on being handcuffed to my Les Paul if and when I take it gigging. 

dbw said:
My cat has an RFID chip... makes sense to put 'em in guitars too, as both cats and guitars tend to wander off if you leave them alone....

Over here about 80% of dogs have a chip, the remaining ones have a tattoo with their serial number. Just about the first thing any vet or animal shelter will do with a stray is read the chip. With those figures chances of a stray or a traffic victim being ID'd are pretty good. I don't know how many guitars have a chip but my guess is that the first thing the cops think when they spot a number of possibly stolen guitars is not to check if they hapen to have a chip.

I think I'll end up chipping mine.  It's only $25, and even if it only gives me a 1% better chance of getting my LP back if it is stolen, it's not like I really have anything to lose by putting it in there.  If the SNAGG cost $200, I don't think I would, but $25 is reasonable. 

imminentG said:
yeah carvins are cool with that company

I am personally against anything rfid, though

I think the concept is interesting and something I would like to explore from a manufacturing perspective.  There are very low power RF tags that are embedded/installed in a variety of manufactured goods.  Knowing where something is on a shop floor or eliminating the need for a shop station/employee to type information into a terminal would improve productivity and accuracy.

Wyliee said:
imminentG said:

I think the concept is interesting and something I would like to explore from a manufacturing perspective.  There are very low power RF tags that are embedded/installed in a variety of manufactured goods.  Knowing where something is on a shop floor or eliminating the need for a shop station/employee to type information into a terminal would improve productivity and accuracy.

This is a very good use of this technology, especially for parts that you can't bar-code.  There is significant material handling overhead when inventory flows from station to station.  Also, this kind of thing can inform you of what a particular station is supposed to do with the item (route it for P90s, or put a bengal burst on it), and which station it's to go to next. 

It's pretty groovy.

mayfly said:
Wyliee said:
imminentG said:

This is a very good use of this technology, especially for parts that you can't bar-code.  There is significant material handling overhead when inventory flows from station to station.  Also, this kind of thing can inform you of what a particular station is supposed to do with the item (route it for P90s, or put a bengal burst on it), and which station it's to go to next. 

It's pretty groovy.

+1 that is a brilliant idea. I know my company sells a barcode software like that, can do room scans, say what's missing, what's added, etc. Great for a business.

Back