Single rack space guitar amp power suggestions?

simple

Staff member
Hi All.

I'm using a Marshall EL84 20/20 to power my Genz Benz G212 cab. Getting great tone, however the low, clean, SRV style hitting, banging chords are sagging out too much on stage. Think I'm just running out of reserve power to push the low frequencies. So, I'm in the hunt for another single space rack amp. Problem is, it needs to be shallow to fit in my rack....right about 10 1/2" deep max.

I'm going to borrow a friend's Carvin DCM200L and see if it can do the job. Heard Rocktron Velocity 300 is not reliable. The ART SLA2 is too deep size-wise. Any other suggestions out there?

This thread on TGP discusses same, and may provide insight/info:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/archive/index.php/t-751605.html

Good luck!

Bagman

Bagman67 said:
This thread on TGP discusses same, and may provide insight/info:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/archive/index.php/t-751605.html

Good luck!

Bagman
Thanks!

Side note: 

EL84s tend to breakup earlier (not much headroom) than other powert00bs; doesn't take much
to push them into "flub" territory.

So your answer is prolly not *only* wattage related, but powert00b-type (if sticking to t00bs) related as well.

6550s are pretty clean.  Whether or not they're sold in a rack-space power amp, I don't know.

Super SauroPOD said:
Side note: 

EL84s tend to breakup earlier (not much headroom) than other powert00bs; doesn't take much

So your answer is prolly not *only* wattage related, but powert00b-type (if sticking to t00bs) related as well.

6550s are pretty clean.  Whether or not they're sold in a rack-space power amp, I don't know.
Yes, "flub territory" is exactly the line I'm walking. Probably just have to go solid state. Worried about how they sound though.  Mesa Simul-class looks cool but that's a lot of tubes. Must put out a bunch of heat.

Gregg said:
Super SauroPOD said:
Side note: 

Yes, "flub territory" is exactly the line I'm walking. Probably just have to go solid state. Worried about how they sound though.  Mesa Simul-class looks cool but that's a lot of tubes. Must put out a bunch of heat.

Depending on your music and how good your preamp is, I would just get a modern switching solid state PA amp and call it a day.  Light, loads of clean power, small. 

1009c851c.jpg

If you're still running guitar cabs with your poweramp, it'll still probably sound rock and roll even if you use a solid state power-amp. Anyway you're never gonna have an audience that can tell the difference. Hang on to the tube poweramp for recording purposes but the headroom of a SS poweramp sounds like a good idea. It's also light and easy to work with.

jackthehack said:
That's hilarious, I was thinking about this amp. I was talking with Jimmy Herring and he said it is his Super Reverb is his most favorite amp to play through, and he said Derrick Trucks thinks the same thing of his own Super Reverb. Oh bridging the Marshall - Fender divide. Will it ever come to be?

jackthehack said:

I had one of those - a 66 black face. 

Used it on precisely one gig.  Sounded fine, but, but ...man.  I didn't need to streach my arms that much.

Sold it for a couple warmoths.

I've had good luck with the Stewart series of clean SS power amps. But they are just that - dead-clean - so if you're looking for power tube overdrive, you're kinda stuck. You can buy a bigger rack box... :evil4: Get one of those twelve-space jobbies, then you get to figure out how to fill it UP.
http://www.stewartaudio.com/products.php?category_id=6

Gregg said:
jackthehack said:
That's hilarious, I was thinking about this amp. I was talking with Jimmy Herring and he said it is his Super Reverb is his most favorite amp to play through, and he said Derrick Trucks thinks the same thing of his own Super Reverb. Oh bridging the Marshall - Fender divide. Will it ever come to be?

You've piqued my curiousity I need to go do some measuring, but I'm thinking that you might be able to mod the chassis and get into a rack mount, but it would obviously take up more than one space...

StubHead said:
Not to be, ummm, didactic or anything. What's the single best food? :hello2:

This is a family forum, but I'll give you a hint:  It's the only power that women hold over us.

-Mark

Back