Showcase/In Stock necks with "choose your own" inlays

jmohil

I'm not sure if this would disrupt the manufacturing process, but as a guy who things a gorgeous fingerboard needs no adornment, it would be cool to see some showcase necks with a "choose your own" inlay option along with the choose your own fretwire.    I know most people like inlay dots, but there are some really nice necks that I've totally drooled over, but would personally pass on due to the presence of inlays.  For those who like dots, they might enjoy having the added option of picking their own inlay material...or none (like me).

Again, not sure if that would cause issues during the build process, but it would be a nice way to give people additional choices with showcase necks.  Just a thought!

This would be cool!  Obviously not an option for fretted/finished necks, tho

Edit: Unless they install the inlays before radiusing the fretboard...then it would be totally impossible.  ???

I am actually the polar opposite of you. :doh:  I have seen alot of necks (not showcase necks) that i thought were beautiful, and the fact that they didnt have inlays completely ruined them for me.

The problem i usually have with the showcase necks is that they choose the ugly cream dots instead of MOP.

I would like to be able to choose my dot material on unfinished necks, but as dbw stated though, it's really not possible. It would have to be done at the time they build the neck.

This is another one of the many reasons why it's best to place a custom order and just be patient as they build it for you.

I was really sad that my baritone neck's only option was dots :sad1:.............until I played my new guitar, then it only moderatly bothered me

I inlay warmoth necks all the time, including compound radius necks. I put on anything you can imagine. The only real problem with this, is that in most cases I need to get the neck unfreted, which mean the fretting has to be done after the inlay. It does add to the cost some, but for the perfect guitar it is probably worth it.
Here are some Custom Inlaid Warmoth Necks I've done.
fullboard.jpg

fretboardsmall.jpg

wneck1.jpg

I like working on Warmoth neck because there are very solid.

cSuttle said:
I inlay warmoth necks all the time, including compound radius necks. I put on anything you can imagine. The only real problem with this, is that in most cases I need to get the neck unfreted, which mean the fretting has to be done after the inlay. It does add to the cost some, but for the perfect guitar it is probably worth it.
Here are some Custom Inlaid Warmoth Necks I've done.
fullboard.jpg

fretboardsmall.jpg

wneck1.jpg

I like working on Warmoth neck because there are very solid.

I think i have seen your website before. Very nice work  :icon_thumright:
I think it's a bit too much work/money for the average person in regards to the OP's request though.

What happened to the 14th fret in the top pic?

A lot of the showcase necks are YC (your choice) fretwire already.  If there were more options on showcase necks, the delivery time would lengthen, thus defeating the purpose of the showcase.  There's always from scratch builds.  You get every choice of available options with those.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
A lot of the showcase necks are YC (your choice) fretwire already.  If there were more options on showcase necks, the delivery time would lengthen, thus defeating the purpose of the showcase.  There's always from scratch builds.  You get every choice of available options with those.

Yeah, I guess it would lengthen delivery time.  On the two builds I've done the delivery time wasn't an issue, so I've done just what you've suggested...gone from scratch and ordered no dots.    I can't help but be jealous of dot-friendly folks who get to see and pick their neck woods beforehand though (unique choice fretboards aside).  There have been a couple of pau ferro/pao ferro necks on there that looked amazing!

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the problem here is that although the showcase necks are not fretted yet they are radiused. Most inlays (all?) go in before radiusing the fretboard (the inlay material gets shaped along with the fretboard).

I've seen a few places/people that inlay after radiusing, or after fretting - though I would imagine you are totally correct as to the ease of doing so being a problem.

AToE said:
I've seen a few places/people that inlay after radiusing, or after fretting - though I would imagine you are totally correct as to the ease of doing so being a problem.

It might be OK for things that only need a drill (round) and many people don't care about a slight radius mismatch on dot markers.

But putting LP Custom inlays  in with frets on will require quite some chisel skill :)

uOpt said:
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the problem here is that although the showcase necks are not fretted yet they are radiused. Most inlays (all?) go in before radiusing the fretboard (the inlay material gets shaped along with the fretboard).

Your right that many companies will not inlay a radiused board, but I will. For a bit more I'll even deal with the compound radius. The radius can effect the design depending on the curve. Crazy tight radius' like 9.5" are very hard to work with. 12" and up are usually not a problem. On the tight radius' you hand to design the inlay so it can be curved around the neck with multiple smaller pieces.

Frets on the other had, can be a problem. If you are working 12th fret and up (1-12) and the design is between the frets not under them, this can be done with the frets in place. If the design goes under the frets and it's 12th and up it can be done, but the routing all has to be down by hand, no automation and it's tricky you have to be sure not to nick a fret. If you are below the 12th fret (12-24), the fret have to come off or the radius will never be right. Don't let anyone tell you different, they would be lying just to get your money (and destroy your guitar).

Actually, the majority of the warmth neck I do are radius. Heck, I even to the compound radius necks. I charge a little extra for those because that are a little harder to do. It only the real small radius' like 10 or 9.5 that will cause problems with some designs. Now inlaying with fret on is a different matter. That place a lot of constraint on what is possible.

Since cSuttle is shamelessly plugging himself here, I will too. He did an inlay on a compound radius Warmoth neck for me and it turned out great. He is a very pleasant guy to deal with also.

Back