Shielding Paint Headaches

JPOL007

My first attempt to use shielding paint turned into a life lesson. I masked the body to prevent spills on the finish. This included taping over the output jack routing. The body is hollow on the control cavity side and getting paint into the area presents problems. I thought spooning paint into the cavity and rotating the body to spread the paint would work.
I was right but paid a heavy price using the technique. The taped over output jack hole let paint escape the cavity and get on the body. It took me a very long time to remove the spilled shielding paint from the finish, the living room floor and my clothes.
Resolved the leaking by wrapping masking tape around an old wine bottle cork and using it to plug the output jack hole.

Attachments

• DSC_0003.gif
    DSC_0003.gif
    863.5 KB · Views: 31
That stuff is more trouble than it's worth.
It reduces very little noise (if any), is expensive, and a hassle to apply.
I used it on my Soloist and did not get it on the finish, but have not/will not use is on any subsequent builds.

True story. It's one of those things that sounds like a good idea on the surface, but in fact is all but pointless.

Street Avenger said:
That stuff is more trouble than it's worth.
It reduces very little noise (if any), is expensive, and a hassle to apply.
I used it on my Soloist and did not get it on the finish, but have not/will not use is on any subsequent builds.
I,m with you on never going near this stuff again. Give me copper tape any day.

Cagey said:
True story. It's one of those things that sounds like a good idea on the surface, but in fact is all but pointless.
2 hours i'll never get back but what a learning experience.

Bagman67 said:
JPOL007 said:
2 hours i'll never get back but what a learning experience.

Same here, but 11 years with wife no. 1.
wife 1 - 8.5 years
wife 2 - 13 days ( I do research and development for a living...know when something is not going to work :doh:)
wife 3 - 26 years and counting
congrats on the 11 years may you have many more

Well, marriage wife no. 1 last 11 years, probably 9 years longer than it should have.  On round 2, we're at 14 years with no end in sight, and I'm very happy.

I dunno, messy and ultimately no use seems right in line with the shielding paint discussion.

Hey-oh!

I bought a can of the shielding paint I though I would give it a try after a few builds with cooper shielding. I made the mistake of reading the warnings on the can and I freaked out. So its back to the cooper shielding for me.  :headbang1:

Did the warning say "Frightfully expensive for as useless as contents are" ? You may also want to save yourself the waste of time/money that copper shielding is, too. You're much better off running shielded cable and/or using noiseless pickups if you're trying to prevent noise pickup.

Back