6PmcgNY.jpg

VHI62Sc.jpg

0N90lQ7.jpg

8Q23lJhv

Jdc8o5M.jpg

3ZWSI7Z.jpg

o3qSlOD.jpg

QOzY1dh.jpg

Very cool. Is this one getting the full vintage treatment with pickup and bridge covers?

I have to ask though - are you trying to restart the world population of vintage F style basses? Don't get me wrong, I like them all - especially the dakota red P, but what are you doing with them all?

Fat Pete said:
Very cool. Is this one getting the full vintage treatment with pickup and bridge covers?

I have to ask though - are you trying to restart the world population of vintage F style basses? Don't get me wrong, I like them all - especially the dakota red P, but what are you doing with them all?

I'm trying stay as period correct as possible with my builds... I usually sell my builds on eBay, but recently I have sold quite a few to my bass playing friends on facebook. I rarely keep any of the basses I build. I did keep the dakota red p bass, and may sell it on eBay down the road.

I'm interested in what the doo-hickey is, also, but from here it appears likely to be a string-damping thingy, like the felt pads that dampen piano strings.

Yep, it's a mute - or a set of them - I think you can individually adjust the damping pressure. The earliest Jazz Basses had that type along with the stacked knobs. A few years in they changed to a single pad stuck to the inside of the cover.

bassburner said:
Very nice. This may be a dumb question, but what's that doo-hickey between the bridge and pickup?

String mutes. That's the way Jazz basses were originally made. It never caught on, so Fender discontinued them.

I'm curious why there is a copper ground strip, if the body is drilled for a bridge ground.  :icon_scratch:

bassburner said:
I'm curious why there is a copper ground strip, if the body is drilled for a bridge ground.  :icon_scratch:

The ground strip is just in keeping the bass as it would have looked like in the '60s.

Here's a picture of the original Fender string mutes...

String-mutes1.jpg

I've seen "relic" J-basses featuring the remaining holes in their bodies from supposedly removed mutes, but never really knew what they actually looked like until now... -guess ya learn something new every day.

Congrats on being able to put together these wonderful things and then flip 'em. -I'd love to do something like that without losing my ass! Putting them together is nearly more the point than having them afterward; even if I had to sell 'em at cost, I'd have something cooking all the time if I knew I could move it once completed.

Day-mun said:
Putting them together is nearly more the point than having them afterward; even if I had to sell 'em at cost, I'd have something cooking all the time if I knew I could move it once completed.

I know what you mean.

Problem is, we're buying parts at retail, so all the profit is already mostly consumed by the suppliers. Unless you can manufacture parts and/or add value, you're lost.

Yeah, that is truth. -Now, if I had skills like Tonar, Great Ape or Mike Seta, then I'd be cookin' with GAS!

-But truth is I'm just not that talented or artistic, so I'm doomed to keep everything I build. Or sell 'em cheap (usually for pennies on the dollar) on that rare occasion someone finds something I have to be interesting right while I'm hankering to get it out of the way so I can rationalize another build. -Or give 'em away; more than a few have left my possession under the guise of charity...

Anyway, sorry L21st for hijackin' your thread. Once again, congrats on such a sweet Jazz!

First pics seemed like you started with chrome hardware, but the last set looks like you used gold.
Which is/was it?  I think I prefer the chrome......but your whole project looks great!

L21st said:
FINISHED:  :blob7:

wyDfglI.jpg

Thank you for selling me this wonderful bass! I've been gigging with it and recording with it too. I just wanted to know the specs on it. What type of wood did you use for the body & neck?

tparty said:

Thank you for selling me this wonderful bass! I've been gigging with it and recording with it too. I just wanted to know the specs on it. What type of wood did you use for the body & neck?

The OP hasn't been active here since posting this, but the grain in the neck pocket looks like (swamp) ash to me and the neck is maple with a rosewood board.

Congrats on your cool bass!

Back