SG Bass!!!

Call it whatever you wish 
icon_wink.gif
  Keep the pics coming - this is getting interesting  :icon_thumright:

the horns do look pretty devilish, but i prefer "sexy guitar" hahaha
There will be lots of pics to come, as soon as i find a decent work space, i doubt my roommate will be cool with me hanging this one in the shower for a few days to dry haha I also had a general question about using a grain filler, im wondering how much of a difference its going to make in darkening up the heavy grain. Ive seen some pics where it seemed to make a pretty noticeable difference, and others where i couldn't really tell if it made a difference at all. I wiped the body down with a little thinner and was wowed at how good it looked "wet", it seriously made me question staining it at all, especially after i did a test spot on the backside (underneath the neck plate) the color just didn't pop like I wanted it too, i know some of that will change once i clear coat it but im wondering how much.

Korina just cleared alllllwaaaaayyysss looks killer.

Plus that is a hella awesome piece to begin with.

rapfohl09 said:
Korina just cleared alllllwaaaaayyysss looks killer.

Plus that is a hella awesome piece to begin with.

It is a beautiful piece, i was blown away when i opened the box and saw it, well worth the price and the wait (which wasnt as long as i had anticipated)

I have talked myself out of the red stain, at least on the front. I think with the phoenix curling around the bottom and edge, that it might be too much red. Instead Im going to do a thinned down application of ebony to 'smoke" it up a bit and bring out the darker grain, that way the artwork will stand out a little bit better.

sg_bass_components_by_finchmsu.jpg

more components!!

Schaller bridge, dual battery box, Basslines Alnico MM pickup, Gold electrosocket, and copper tape.

Like the old Johnny Cash song, "building it one piece at a time..."

Nice bass! I agree that you should clear coat it, preferably with the minimum number of lacquer coats as possible. I have used a regular can of clear gloss spray lacquer in the past on a bass and it worked really well. Spray super thin coats. Lightly sand the 1st coat to knock off the raised grain, sand the 2nd last coat to perfection and you are good to go. Lacquer does not require sanding between coats for adhesion purposes. The solvent is so strong it melts the previous coats resulting in one solid coating when done.

On the SG discussion, I have heard that it stands for Spanish Guitar. It doesn't make sense, but that is what I have heard. So clearly this is an EB Bass, but no one uses that any more.

Max Webster said:
On the SG discussion, I have heard that it stands for Spanish Guitar. It doesn't make sense, but that is what I have heard. So clearly this is an EB Bass, but no one uses that any more.

The early Merle Travis and Telecaster were called electric "Spanish Style" guitars.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Max Webster said:

The early Merle Travis and Telecaster were called electric "Spanish Style" guitars.

"Spanish Style" is also used to describe standard guitar (eadgbe) tuning amirite??

Back