Set Neck Diamondback?

BigSteve22

Is it just my imagination, or is this just a set neck Diamondback? Ain't exact, but it's pretty damned close! Have I been missing this all along?

https://www.guitarcenter.com/ESP/LTD-401-Viper-Electric-Guitar-Sage-Green-Satin-1500000269293.gc

Attachments

• index.png
    index.png
    185.9 KB · Views: 313
There are some subtle differences, but ya....they're close.

Biggest differences is the inside curve of the Viper's horns is rounded like an SG. Diamondback horns come to a point in the inside curve.

I got this best in my collection.
xlarge.

Plays great but it is definitely not an SG. Good more balanced Bad it is a heavy beast of a guitar.

DangerousR6 said:
ESP's been making those for quite some time....
So it would seem, guess I'm just finding them now! Still, to me at least, the Diamondback is better looking, just seems, "sexier"?  :evil4:

The Diamondback is named what it is because it's copying the Viper; a diamondback is another species of snake.
In past years, before the Diamondback, Warmoth made a Gibson SG copy body which they even just called an SG, if I remember correctly. When Gibson told them to stop, Warmoth did what nearly everyone does when making Gibson copies and switched to copying ESP's version instead. (Even Gibson's own smaller brands do this. Their Kramer brand makes copies of the ESP Eclipse which itself is a copy of the Gibson LP.)

Don't look for originality in electric guitars, there's not been an original shape in decades...

“The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.”

Thanks for the background, Ace!  :icon_thumright:

Whether Ken referenced the Viper during the time he was working out the design for the Diamondback body I cannot say for sure, but it is certainly possible. What I can say with 100% certainly is that the Diamondback was named Diamondback because I thought Diamondback was a cool name for that body, given the horns look very fang-like due to the points on the inside curves that I mentioned in my post above. I can say this with 100% certainty because I am the one who named it. The fact that a Diamondback is a kind of viper is just a happy coincidence, I guess.

I named it at the same time I named several other models, including the Switchback, Slapshot, Arcade, Velocity, Vortex, and a few more. All these models were originally slated to be released with names like JK-1, V1, SGD, etc. I argued for giving them real names instead of numbers, and the execs let me do it.

It is true though: it's all been done before. Still, we all get to put our own unique spin on things...and it's those subtle differences that keep things feeling new.

The Aaron said:
... I named it at the same time I named several other models, including the Switchback, Slapshot, Arcade, Velocity, Vortex, and a few more. All these models were originally slated to be released with names like JK-1, V1, SGD, etc. I argued for giving them real names instead of numbers, and the execs let me do it...

This!
That's why people to this day remembers an old synth named MiniMoog and an old guitar named Jaguar, but nobody remembers that one synth called SH-1000 or that guitar called Model No. 2365 (different manufacturers - Roland and Ibanez - and not as popular, but still ...). And Ibanez continue this naming standard to this day. Anyone in the mood for a "RGR5227MFX"? :icon_scratch:

Logrinn said:
The Aaron said:
... I named it at the same time I named several other models, including the Switchback, Slapshot, Arcade, Velocity, Vortex, and a few more. All these models were originally slated to be released with names like JK-1, V1, SGD, etc. I argued for giving them real names instead of numbers, and the execs let me do it...

This!
That's why people to this day remembers an old synth named MiniMoog and an old guitar named Jaguar, but nobody remembers that one synth called SH-1000 or that guitar called Model No. 2365 (different manufacturers - Roland and Ibanez - and not as popular, but still ...). And Ibanez continue this naming standard to this day. Anyone in the mood for a "RGR5227MFX"? :icon_scratch:

That was my argument, exactly.

Well that, and the fact that by giving things names you get to craft a "vibe" around your product line. For example, a line of products with names like Omen, Vanquish, and Aurora has a different vibe than a line of products with names like iPad, iPhone, and iPod. It's part of building your brand. (Ugh, I hate that term....)

The Aaron said:
....What I can say with 100% certainly is that the Diamondback was named Diamondback because I thought Diamondback was a cool name for that body......

I named it at the same time I named several other models, including the Switchback, Slapshot, Arcade, Velocity, Vortex, and a few more.........

Diamondback, Velocity, Vortex..... All memorable, and apt branding! You, my friend, may revel in your expertise, and disregard those who use derogatory terms for your profession. "Marketing Weenie"?? I say, genius!!!!  :headbang:

And again, thanks for the information!

Back