semi hollows and f-holes

vtpcnk

do f-holes really play any role in the sound of a semi hollow?

but semi hollows like bb king's lucille have no f-holes.

if f-holes do make a difference in the sound would two f-holes make a difference in a thinline tele (69 version)?

and any pickguard suggestions for a 2 f-hole thinline?

Bump for sake of wanting to know the answer.

I'm looking at getting a showcase L5S, and I was wondering if the F hole would affect the tone. It is a hollow body guitar.
If the extra $30 is just for looks, I don't care that much. If it affects tone, I would look at it.

I'm just speculating here, for whatever it's worth.

F-Holes are there partly to project sound acoustically and mostly to enhance appearance. Since neither one of those things will make it down a wire, I'm fairly confident that they don't make enough difference to talk about on an electric guitar. Unless you're using acoustic (piezo) pickups, the fact that the body is sorta hollow does as much as is going to be done about the vibrations the standard electromagnetic pickups are going to sense. Unfortunately, since there are so many other variables involved in a guitar's tone, it's tough to quantify with any certainty exactly what effect the holes have. You'd have to take a hollow body without f-holes, record that, then cut f-holes and record the same passage again to hear if there's any difference. But, it doesn't really make sense that they'd have anything more than a very minor influence, if at all, other than acoustically.

I would agree that the tone influence from an F-Hole on a Warmoth body through an amp would be very, very minimal if not undetectable. So if you like they way they look, I'd say go for it!

I can't imagine it would make a difference on a chambered body..

however, when I play my thinline unplugged, I can simulate a wah wah effect with my Hands  :icon_biggrin:
then again, I also don't think it makes a difference for a thinline when plugged in.

Gregg said:
I would agree that the tone influence from an F-Hole on a Warmoth body through an amp would be very, very minimal if not undetectable. So if you like they way they look, I'd say go for it!

+1

Back