Second Bass 99% done

SPLGEO

This is my second Warmoth bass build Specs are as close as I could get to the bass Warwick built for Justin Chancellor (17-3377)
Body/Electronics:
Bubinga
G4 shape
2x Nordstrand BigManBlade pickups with a custom Nordstrand 3band preamp.
Controls are 500k volume, 250k ungrounded blend pot, mid, stacked treble and bass, 2x switches for series, single, and parallel for each pickup
Gold Gotoh 201 bridge, and other gold hardware.
Has Fishman rechargeable battery pack.

Neck:
Wenge shaft with a regular ebony fingerboard
Bubinga cap
Steel rods
24 EVO jumbo frets
brass nut
Gotoh tuners with ebony buttons
Ebony truss rod cover
Weight ~13lbs

Attachments

• IMG-2049.jpg
    IMG-2049.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG-2050.jpg
    IMG-2050.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG-2051.jpg
    IMG-2051.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG-2052.jpg
    IMG-2052.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 21
  • bubinga_1.jpg
    bubinga_1.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 23
Did you make the cap, or was it an option from Warmoth? I was hoping Warmoth made this an option but at least it’s not on the neck I’m currently thinking about. Looks great!

jgarber79 said:
Did you make the cap, or was it an option from Warmoth? I was hoping Warmoth made this an option but at least it’s not on the neck I’m currently thinking about. Looks great!

I had to call for that. I would recommend if there is something not on the website to give them a call. I had to do that twice with this bass. Great people to deal with btw.

Is that the standard MM pickup placement from Warmoth? Not sure what tone you're going for, but they were able to approve moving the routs for my "Wal" type bass significantly closer to the bridge for a pretty good approximation of where they are placed on a real Wal. They likely could have done the two humbuckers in close proximity to each other to get a similar tone and look of JC's Warwick bass. Again, not sure what you were aiming for.

fauxtoe said:
Is that the standard MM pickup placement from Warmoth? Not sure what tone you're going for, but they were able to approve moving the routs for my "Wal" type bass significantly closer to the bridge for a pretty good approximation of where they are placed on a real Wal. They likely could have done the two humbuckers in close proximity to each other to get a similar tone and look of JC's Warwick bass. Again, not sure what you were aiming for.

I was going for something akin to the Warwick JC bass. I liked the sound of it both in the video of Justin playing it, but also the video of Carry playing his bass with the pickups in there. I really liked the visual aspects of the Warwick bass and got most of it with Warmoth. I did go with the wiring setup that Warwick used in Justin's versus what Carry was using including which coil is the output. I like the sound I am getting. It's much more in the realm of tone(never-ending chase) when compared to my previous build(Fishman pickups, mahogany body, maple cap, maple neck, rosewood board). The bass is very heavy because of the Bubinga ~13lbs. I mostly play around my house.  I'll have to keep it in mind to ask Wamoth if they can move pickups in the future. 

SPLGEO said:
fauxtoe said:

I was going for something akin to the Warwick JC bass. I liked the sound of it both in the video of Justin playing it, but also the video of Carry playing his bass with the pickups in there. I really liked the visual aspects of the Warwick bass and got most of it with Warmoth. I did go with the wiring setup that Warwick used in Justin's versus what Carry was using including which coil is the output. I like the sound I am getting. It's much more in the realm of tone(never-ending chase) when compared to my previous build(Fishman pickups, mahogany body, maple cap, maple neck, rosewood board). The bass is very heavy because of the Bubinga ~13lbs. I mostly play around my house.  I'll have to keep it in mind to ask Wamoth if they can move pickups in the future.

Awesome! Oh I know how it goes with tone chasing. Though, with the exception of my build in progress I don't think I'm chasing it too much anymore. I'm more of a collector of many tones than looking for one specific one. Some would argue that a P bass is a one size fits all bass, but my collection of basses and I disagree.

Warmoth will definitely let you move pickup cavities so long as it gets approval from the production team and you don't mind paying for it. There are limitations as to what they allow or what is possible based on other build factors. For example, I wouldn't have been able to move the bridge pickup to its location had I also wanted a double battery box since it would have interfered. Everything is programmed for CNC, and if they don't have an easy way to move something or an already programmed way to do a rout, then it isn't happening. And that's fine! If they catered to every need they would turn into a full on custom shop. Their bread and butter is cranking out products with known variables and limited (but still extensive) options that the build departments can repeat without much hassle or extra tooling.

Good to see you've got it built up and I'm stoked to see more Bubinga around these parts!

We should both post sound samples of our very similar basses to see how the woods make them sound haha.

Also since you're the only other person I know with the jc3b and the bb4s, we should discuss them at length after you've spent enough time on them.

Mine was also doing some of the Warwick thing, some of the Wal thing, some of the Nordstrand-Carry bass thing. Our blueprints are really really similar haha.

Back