Schaller M6 mini fitting

LittleTimmy

Hi all,
I’m new to the forum and Warmoth products but very excited to venture more in both areas. Tonight I just started putting together my first Tele partscaster.

I recently bought a Warmoth Telecaster neck. It’s is essentially brand new but I got it off the original purchaser who didn’t end up using it. I got the same Schaller M6 135 that he had fitted (i.e drilled), and the bushings don’t seem to be going in easy. I know they are to be tight but these seem too big. Is this possible? Or is there some simple sanding I can do. I have attached some pictures where you can see them sitting on top. Also see one where I tried to tighten and it began to press into the wood.

Thanks in advance!

Hello and welcome to the forum.

There are no pictures that are visible with your post. I am familiar with Schaller M6 135 tuners and so on so there are a couple of possibilities.

Do the holes for the tuners have two diameters with one smaller at the front?

The tuner bore for Schallers used to have two steps with a smaller diameter closer to the headstock. Newer Schaller tuners use a single 25/64" (9.92mm) bore. Or close enough a 10mm bore.

If you have newer Schallers and the neck has the old bore it needs to be the same all the way through. If the bore is correct it may be finish build up causing the problem, in which case use some sandpaper wrapped around a pencil to clean out the bore so the bushings then fit.

Thanks stratamania,
It appears that they are new M6 tuners and the neck is drilled with the smaller diameter closer to the head-stock as you suggested. It was my understanding that the neck was drilled 25/64". Sorry I couldn't get the photos to load last night. They are now attached. Which would be better, try and find these older M6 tuners? Or have the holes fully drilled 25/64".

Attachments

• unnamed1.jpg
    unnamed1.jpg
    816.1 KB · Views: 206
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 189
It is a year or two ago that the tuners changed from the two step to single bore. So I am not sure where you would be able to obtain the older spec of tuner.

Another option would be Hipshot tuners which fitted the older 2 step Schaller bore and as far as I know still do.

But if you know someone with a pillar drill (US drill press) they may be able to bore the holes to size for the tuners you already have.

Thanks, yeah I think I will opt to open the holes a little. There is a luthier here who can do it. Otherwise would a little work with a round file do the job?

You might be filing a while and you could end up with the holes not correctly round. Unless you have a reamer made for such jobs (which I am guessing that you have not).

You probably will have a better result if you take it to someone used to sorting such things out who has the tools.

Back