Schaller M6 locking tuner with Wilkinson Tremelo

mickcoop91

Hi Guys,

Just a quick query, can you use Schaller M6 locking tuners with a Wilkinson VS100N tremolo? If so, is there any benefit of doing this?

I'm not sure if the the Schaller locking tuners are only compatible with a Floyd Rose style tremolo.

About to purchase my first Warmoth, very excited, already loving this forum.

Thanks in advance! :headbanging: :headbanging: :headbanging:

TL:DR They'll be great. Locking tuners and Wilkinson or other two-post trems are commonly paired, maybe even a modern standard

Locking tuners are NOT locking nuts and have nothing to do with locking trem systems like Floyd Rose.

Floyd Roses and similar locking tremolos use LOCKING NUTS. AS locking nut anchors the strings rigidly at the nut, you can dive-bomb until the strings fall away from the neck and they'll return the pitch without budging, moving, or binding at the nut. Once the strings are locked down, all fine tuning has to be done at the bridge.

There is a misconception that locking tuners are similar to locking nuts...they are not. The major difference between a locking tuner and a "regular" tuning key is locks the string into the peg. This allows for faster string changes (except then they get stuck) and sometimes more stable tuning because there is no excessive winding around the peg to stretch or loosen. You can use locking tuners on any guitar (and they are certainly a favorite around here), they well shine with a non-locking, modern trem like a Wilkenson.

I have them (the F style version with 2pin mounting) with a Wilkinson VS100N and GraphTech XL nut. No complaints at all (weight aside), it's an abnormally stable guitar even with heavy tremolo use.

In contrast some of the Gotoh locking tuners (the ones without the Schaller-style thumbscrew) haven't performed anywhere as well on my other more recent build.

"can you use Schaller M6 locking tuners with a Wilkinson VS100N tremolo?"

Can I ?
Yes! And I do.

" If so, is there any benefit of doing this?"
As opposed to non-locking tuners? Better tuning stability.

Basically my frame of reference is to a standard Stratocaster trem and tuners. The locking tuners and the Wilkenson trem are much more stable.

Locking tuners and a Wilkinson do indeed work perfectly. However, I would advise anyone going for that to also use either a roller nut or an extremely well-polished metal nut (or a '0 fret', if you're Brian May), since a guitar with the most stable tuners and bridge in the world will still get out of tune if the strings are getting caught up in the nut.
If you're not already familiar, check out Jeff Beck any time from about 1992 onwards to hear how much you can abuse a 2-point vibrato (like the Wilkinson) when you have a roller nut and locking tuners.

Very happy with the Planet Waves trimlok tuners and the Wilky part you mention.  I believe DuckBaloo's answer adequately addresses the mechanics, advantages, and disadvantages of locking tuners used in conjunction with trem systems.  In short, you'll be fine, and will likely be satisfied with the results.

The Schaller's are superb machines. I have them with a Callaham trem bridge and my other strats have Wilkinson bridges and will eventually all have Schallers.

Bagman67 said:
Very happy with the Planet Waves trimlok tuners and the Wilky part you mention.

I’ve been using these for ages and they’re hard to beat. The only drawback is the look on some guitars, the black post isn’t always welcome. People sometimes laugh about the string cutting aspect but it’s really not a bad feature.

When I need all-chrome there’s a hipshot lock wheel set I’ve been using lately which are great.

I have the Schallers with a Gotoh 510 trem and an LSR roller nut. They were expensive, but I really like these tuners. They lock easily (and they lock the upper two strings, which some cheap locking tuners won't do) and the action when tuning is very smooth, which I appreciate.

as unlogical as it sounds, i had bad experience with schaller locking tuners.
I am german and proud of this company, but my partscaster won't stay in tune with the schallers. It wasnt bad perse, but i tried gotoh one time and they held tuning way better. The schallers seemed to loose tension after a while. i hope i am alone with this experience. the gotoh tuners "build" up and held string tension better. its kinda hard to describe.

i like my Schnallers, i like my other tuners. pretty much the only tuners i don't like are Fenders, lol. Maybe the ones they include on their nicer guitars are okay, but it seems like any fender under $1k comes with darn near useless tunerz. i'm sure any decent locking tuner would be good for your Wilk, my dawg.

but hey, you dont have to listen me. when i was a kid i was so dumb i thought Draft Beer was beer that was specifically made and sent to soldiers during wartime.

BroccoliRob said:
when i was a kid i was so dumb i thought Draft Beer was beer that was specifically made and sent to soldiers during wartime.

I am sure you know now that it is used by architects when making plans...

stratamania said:
BroccoliRob said:
when i was a kid i was so dumb i thought Draft Beer was beer that was specifically made and sent to soldiers during wartime.

I am sure you know now that it is used by architects when making plans...
rofl, and maybe a pint of draft beer helps racecar racers reduce wind resistence [i do not advocate drinkin n drivin: leave it to the professionals].

but when i'm at home (not driving), lemme tell ya, just like my daddy said, "i'd rather have a bottle in fronta me than a frontal lobotomy"  :eek:ccasion14:

Back