Schaller Locking Machine Heads M6 2000

Bruno

With a set of Schaller M6, it is necessary a string retainer?  :icon_scratch:
By Schaller web site: * 6-in-line models with two different shaft lengths (staggered)*
Thanks

I don't think you need to use string retainers with staggered tuners. In fact, that might be the whole point of using staggered tuners...

Bruno said:
With a set of Schaller M6, it is necessary a string retainer?  :icon_scratch:
By Schaller web site: * 6-in-line models with two different shaft lengths (staggered)*
Thanks

I never use string trees, and I've never had any problem. But, a good nut is important, or it's possible for strings to jump out of their slots when bending or during heavy picking/strumming. I've heard some say that the trees also help to transfer vibrations from the strings to the neck. I'm not sure where they think that energy goes otherwise, but I do know my strings vibrate just fine - clearly and for a long time - as have older guitars that do have trees but are difficult to keep tuned.

Since they're not appearance-enhancing and can cause tuning issues, best thing for you is probably to not install them and see if you have problems. My guess is you won't, which is good for you. If you do, look at getting a better nut or put the trees on. Hint: A better nut is the better choice.

A better nut is the better choice
Absolutely  :icon_thumright:

But if the Sperzel T/L are *very* staggered (individually decreases in height), the Schaller M6  have **two** different shaft lengths.
Also I have seen strat headstock with mechanical Sperzel T/L and string retainer!

So...this is the reason why I have doubts!

I had these, and I didn't like them. I was playing 13's with the guitar, and they wouldn't grip the high E or B strings. The locks actually broke shut, so they are useless now....

I use them with 10s and 9s. No issues using this in performance weekly and not trees needed.

ok, whit schaller m6 not tree.
And with a *very good nut* and **vintage tuners** (like Gotoh SD91 or Kluson D. Line)? 

p.s.:
It would be great if I could not put the tree, because I don't find vintage tuners staggered :(

I don't think you need the stagger. The posts are just shorter across the board (at least with Schallers) because you don't need the room to wrap the string around the post several times like you had to on old non-locking tuners. The Schallers I put on my last two Strats are quite short - like the high E & B string post heights the Sperzels used to have.

Never used the Schallers, but I do have the staggered Sperzels with no string tree. They work great, no popping out of the nut.

Just bought some Schaller's. Apprently there are three different levels of these, Schaller branded German Schaellers ($80) , Fender branded Schaller's made in Korea ($75), and Ping manufactured (Taiwan)  Fender branded copies (I'm assuming licensed - Fender's a big target)  that don't say Schaller ($55-60). For the money difference I sprung for the German Schaller's. Looking to ditch the string trees and all my wraps. Got a recently done Earvana black shelf nut. Hoping this one will stay in tune until the end of time (Hardtail but I'm a heavy bender).

ErogenousJones said:
I don't think you need to use string retainers with staggered tuners. In fact, that might be the whole point of using staggered tuners...

That is true, or at least that is what Schaller says about the staggered arangement eliminating the need for string trees.

Bruno said:
A better nut is the better choice
Absolutely  :icon_thumright:

But if the Sperzel T/L are *very* staggered (individually decreases in height), the Schaller M6  have **two** different shaft lengths.
Also I have seen strat headstock with mechanical Sperzel T/L and string retainer!

So...this is the reason why I have doubts!
Sperzel have three levels of staggering so a set of 6IL is 2 of each height. They work wonderfully on a Strat flat headstock neck without any trees. My string nut is the 2-piece Earvana which now seems to be discontinued. No tuning problems and very stable.

Kyler (JamesL) said:
I don't understand all of the string tree hate...  :icon_scratch:

It's just another place for the string to hang up and cause tuning issues. I know you can buy roller-style trees that supposedly mitigate that problem, but why spend money to fix a problem you don't have to have in the first place? If strings are popping out of the nut, get a good one made, or make a good one yourself.

I've heard that even roller string-retainers don't help so much because of quality issues the roller won't even roll like it should.

I'm facing the same problem with the same tuners, btw here they are:
tunerss.jpg

I suppose best would be to go without any retainers, and if I would like to have one, then maybe a graphtec or so for 6 bucks. If I don't like the look of them then there is a usual Fender American Deluxe string retainer available.

Well, I certainly hope that there are never SCHALLER-branded Ping tuners, because the Ping-made Grovers are pot-metal crap. This business of different "tiers" of quality is nutty - when you read that a guitar is "Grover-equipped" it used to mean quality, now you can't tell if they're good Grovers or bad Grovers. The weird thing is that Ping also makes some really great tuners, the ones that look like old Schallers that Ibanez is using on their better guitars tune just fine. re: the trees - don't put them on, and if it needs them you'll figure it out. Quickly...

Back