Schaller Floyd Rose and EVH DTuna

Endnote

Does anyone know if the EVH D-Tuna works on the Schaller Floyd Rose that Warmoth stocks? Thanks in advance.

Endnote said:
Does anyone know if the EVH D-Tuna works on the Schaller Floyd Rose that Warmoth stocks? Thanks in advance.

The Schaller Floyd Rose is identical to a regular Floyd Rose in every way that matters. Schaller makes (or used to make) Floyd Rose trems for Floyd Rose.

The only real difference is that Schaller trems use shorter string lock screws which makes a more compact trem, so the body routs for them don't need to be as big. (I think its over-all design and metal quality make it better than an OFR myself.)

Anything that works on an OFR will work on a Schaller FR.

The real question is, are you installing it on a surface-mount, or recessed-mount Floyd Rose? Either application limits pulling up on the trem due to the length of the D-Tuna.

If its being mounted on a recessed FR, depending on bridge height, the D-Tuna will either not work at all as it will be colliding with the body itself and will not allow the bridge to
properly 'float' (worse case), or, will allow the bridge to float - but again severly limits or eliminates your ability pull up on the bridge (best case).

If your going to get a custom body, the best way I've seen it done for a recessed rout is for an extra long rout channel cut at the top of the trem cavity to allow for the extra length of the D-Tuna
(which IMHO I think looks cool). If its a for surface mounted FR, you're all set the way it is.

-ORC

Some other notes to add to that of Orcrist.

D-Tunas do not work with a floating bridge as when the pitch is lowered to D all the other strings will also shift in pitch to a degree. That means the trem has to be decked so it can not raise in pitch or you need a way of preventing that such as with a tremol-no.

THe Schaller Lockmeister trem is identical dimensionally to an OFR, so it is worth establishing which Schaller is being mentioned.

rick2 said:
Hipshot makes an xtender that is pretty good.

Perhaps so, but it will not work with a locking FR or Schaller.

An xtender is a tuning key that will drop a note to D, it might be useful on a Tele but not a locknut equipped guitar.

Thanks for the replies all. The body I'm gonna use is top mounted. I prefer that look with the D Tuna and am not interested in having a floating Floyd.

Back