Schaller 456

MKFAN

What do I need to know about the Schaller 456 fixed bridge?
I'm considering using it on my build. I don't like tremollos... I like the TOM with Stop Piece, but saving that for the LP build...
For now, I want a good fixed option for my new strat-style build with S-S-H rout and was curious if the 456 was a good choice...
Thoughts?

Looks like you and I are in the same boat. I posted a thread about this very bridge just a couple of weeks ago, (Click the link below to see) though I didn't get many replies. It seems that the Schaller 456 doesn't have very many users on this forum. I myself was wanting more info about this bridge when I saw it used on the guitar that inspired the one I want to build. (again see my thread) Schaller, to the best of my knowledge, has an excellent reputation. The aforementioned guitar sounds good with it and if you've ever watched the DVD "Triumph Live at the US Festival" you'll see that Rik Emmett uses it about 80% of the time.  Therefore, it must be a pretty good bridge. I am also considering the possibility of going with a TonePros Locking Tune-O-Matic Bridge & Stop Tail Piece as an alternative. Hope this helps you out.

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=991.0

Hey... thanks for the reply. Yeah, we're in very much the same boat.
I'm putting together a guitar that is meant to be a mix of the elements of strats and LPs that I like best.
The 456 looks great, and as long as it's stable, which I'm sure it is, I know it'll be fine.
My big concern is weather the fine tuning mechanism is a problem if it isn't being utilized. I don't think this bridge requires a locking nut, so that won't be an issue.
Aesthetically, I just don't love the look of standard Strat style fixed bridges (or trems for that matter), so I'm really looking for a solid alternative.
Thanks for responding. I'll let you know as I learn more about this bridge, which is fast becoming my first choice, unless someone finds a good reason to talk me out of it.
Anyone else, dropping by: The more input about this bridge you have, the more we'll appreciate it!

I don't have first hand experience, so take this for what it is worth, but I have heard and read that this is a rock solid bridge, and that the adjustments that can be made are nothing but a boon to a great set-up.

another option is a floyd rose speedloader fixed bridge, but i'm not sure if it requires a locking nut or not. If it does, at least for me, that's a deal-breaker.
http://www.floydrose.com/fixedbridge.html
at least i think it is... haven't heard too many wonderful things about having a locking nut on your primary (or only) guitar.
also, wondering if the 456 might be a bit "chunky" looking... should go see one in person.
thoughts?

The Schaller 456 does have a chunky appearance which is one reason I was looking into the cleaner looking Tone Pros. But its not ugly, in fact on the aforementioned DVD it looks real nice set against the cherry sunburst finish (gold hardware, here) and it really picks up the lights.

Back