Scale length question

rapfohl09

So at the risk of starting a conversation that has been had before (I tried to search, I don't think I am very good at picking key words) I will just jump right in.

Can anyone comment on string tension with scale length? I am looking into a cheap 7 string, and the one I like has a 27" scale length. I like the feel of my D'addario 10s on a 25.5" scale length, and I know increasing the scale length increases tension if you change nothing else, but if I got a set of 9s on the 27" would it be relatively close? I realize I should just try it out, and if I can I will, but I figured I would ask.

I've not played with a 27" scale neck, but I could see that working out. I know going from a 25.5" scale to a 24.75" lets me go from 9s to 10s and get a similar feel. It's a smaller change, but still. I think you'd be ok. It wouldn't be a major change, anyway. You'd probably get used to it quickly.

Here's a nice calculator. Put in your scale length & strings & tuning.
http://www.mcdonaldstrings.com/stringxxiii.html

My 0.009-0.046 25.5" tuned standard E nets 98.9 lb tension
My 0.009-0.042 25.5" tuned E flat has 79.79 lb

This sounds like an Agile to me.  I have one, a Hornet 727.  I put the 9-10 hybrid set on it and it is not much different than my other guitars.  I am sure it is, but I don't notice it much.  However, I also tend not to notice things like this very drastically.  Scale length and tension are a part of the guitar I currently am fiddling around with.  Hey look something shiny!  Sorry to not be more help.
Patrick

Patrick from Davis said:
This sounds like an Agile to me.  I have one, a Hornet 727.  I put the 9-10 hybrid set on it and it is not much different than my other guitars.  I am sure it is, but I don't notice it much.  However, I also tend not to notice things like this very drastically.  Scale length and tension are a part of the guitar I currently am fiddling around with.  Hey look something shiny!  Sorry to not be more help.
Patrick

You caught me  :laughing7:. I am looking into one of the cheaper 7s for some music that I am getting into pretty heavily right now. Plus I have always wanted to try one out.

Thanks for the rest of the replies! Now I have to buy a guitar  :laughing7:

rapfohl09 said:
Can anyone comment on string tension with scale length? I am looking into a cheap 7 string, and the one I like has a 27" scale length. I like the feel of my D'addario 10s on a 25.5" scale length, and I know increasing the scale length increases tension if you change nothing else, but if I got a set of 9s on the 27" would it be relatively close? I realize I should just try it out, and if I can I will, but I figured I would ask.

My standard guitars are Carvin's with 25" scale length. I use 9-46 boomers (GBCL)
When I got a PRS Baritone with 27.7" scale length I wanted as close to the same feel as I could get. Tuned to drop-C 10-52 (TNT) are pretty close. I have an excel spreadsheet somewhere with all the calculations and it was within a few lbs.

Back