SAWSTOP - Here's a safe tool.....!

thats one of the few things im scared of is a table saw. 

I was cutting what was going to be a cabinet door panel,  and i didn't have the guard low enough.
the table was to short to push the piece through the blade with out it falling off the table. so i had it half way through the saw, and loosened my grip so i could catch the panel from the side, and it swung around and went between the guard and the blade and slugged me in the stomach.
i was kinda dazed and thought to my self if i look down am i going to like what i see, any way, my panel was covered in red stuff and i checked my hands to see if i was bleeding and thank some one it was just paint from the blade.
my panel was wrecked, but i was happy to have my fingers, and my teacher came over and said, let me hold on to the panel so i can show the next class how not to do this.

im never using that saw again, its a death trap, id rather use the one with  the ten foot table. any way, this looks like a good product, but my school is to cheap to ever buy it. my teacher has plenty of scar stories, maybe i'll tell some more, after i stop vomiting.

thats the best thing ive seen ever for shop saftey.... watch the the two short movies in the how it works tab i wish my 7 inch grinder at work was that smart

At Brown and Bush, later Bush Bros, we had some gnarly stuff.

Had a resaw (bandsaw that was 10 feet between spindles on 30 inch wheels.  We cut raw logs there, mostly cypress.

We had two 36inch jointers, a 24 inch one, and a few smaller ones.  Ancient old DeWalt table saw with 24 inch blade, couple of newer ones with 18 inch blades, and some normal shop size ones.  Had a nice old radial arm with 24 inch blade (scary as hell), and a good half dozen regular normal shop sized ones.  And we had a 5 drum moulding machine and knife grinder for it  - four sides plus an angle if you wanted.  That was the bad stuff.  Things like biscuiters and stuff.. loads of drills and skills and that sort.  Had a nice pin router and two smaller table routers (5hp or so).

The resaw scared me the most.  I always had thoughts of that blade letting loose - it was about 3/16 thck by a good 8 inches deep... some 38 feet (or so.. somebody can do the math) of blade steel.  I figured if it let loose I'd be doing my Vic Morrow impersonation - after the copter scene.  Scared me to death, but it didn't let loose and it ran at pretty high speed too.

One day though - boss goes "the kid got hurt, go and pick his stuff out the dust collector under the join'er".  His stuff was remains of one of his hands and fingers from the other.  I hadda crawl under the machine, in the sawdust bin, and clean it out, then clean out the line to the vacuum system (we vacuumed sawdust into an empty 18 wheeler trailer, and it was taken away every few weeks). 

And brothers, that is humanity kicking you in the face and gut and balls and ass and chest all at one time.  They saved some of his hand most of his fingers on the other.  He was 17.  At the time I was bout 25 or so...    I'm amazed I survived that place in one piece.  The old timers wore their scars as a badge of honor.  One day old timer kicks off my table saw power cuz he dont like the noise during his break.  That was it for me - the wood took off - and I was about ready to beat him silly with a hammer, or worse... and just said... enuf of the madness and left.

thats the best invention since sliced bread! CB thats a pritty gruesome  story. Sounds like you were right to quit

if you have ever heard the sound of someons hand/fingers go through a table saw you wont forget it .i saw it up close in high scool i was next in line to cut a piece of birch ply wood
when it happend to the guy in front of me. he cut off two fingers and his thumb. we put all the parts in a zip lock on ice and they sewed them back on i still can hear it

At least Americans care about safety cause in Taiwan no one seem to care. I seen tons of rigged up skil saw turned upside down used as a table saw, no guard, people cutting thin pieces with no push stick, the back of the saw (where the operator is standing) is facing TOWARDS the street where pedestrians and vehicles cross each day (it was one of those on site construction thingie)

Safety means nothing to Taiwanese blue collar worker...

Back