Saw the coolest thing at the Greenday concert

riverbluff

Went to see Greenday here in Germany last night and it was a great show.  Every few songs BJA would bring someone from the crowd up on stage to get the chorus and take a pic.  About half way through the show they decided to start a band using audiance members.  Pick a drummer (male about age 25) bass player ( really funky punk girl about age 30) and for guitar they ended up picking a 14 year old boy.  The Greenday guys gave their instruments to the folks as they came up on stage, each person playing about a minute before the next person was brought up.  So the drummenr was kickin the skins while BJA played guitar and MD was playing bass.  All three did pretty good considering they were playing in front of 30K people and through the full PA.  After the song was finished and before the kid left the stage BJA says "hold on I want to give you something"  He starts to pull his guitar strap off his guitar and we all think, cool gift...

BJA hands the kid his Guitar!!!! (Blonde strat)  The kids was in shock after that.  BJA had been playing this guitar for about 3 song in the set.  I think he was so impressed with the kids attitude. You could tell when he climbed up on stage he was brickin it and the first 30 sec or so of his playing showed it, that but he didn't chicken out!  The kid played ok, not great but man what an incentive to keep to the woodshed!

Coolest thing I have ever seen.

very cool! :D

I'd make poo on my pants if I go to a stage playing 30k people in front of me NOW, imagine with 14 years old... :laughing7:

Great story!

Reminds me of when I saw Green Day, back in '98 here in The Netherlands at the Lowlands festival.
They pulled a 20-ish guy from the audience to play (and sing!) along with a song. He did great.
The difference was that before he was sent of stage (stage diving, of course) he didn't get a guitar but a french kiss from BJA.

baskruit said:
They pulled a 20-ish guy from the audience.... he didn't get a guitar but a french kiss from BJA.

:sad1: Hope he liked it...  :laughing7:  :icon_biggrin:

NonsenseTele said:
baskruit said:
They pulled a 20-ish guy from the audience.... he didn't get a guitar but a french kiss from BJA.

Even if he didn't, that's a rock and roll moment.

NonsenseTele said:
baskruit said:

If I were a fan of the band, I wouldn't mind it.

OTOH, my biggest concern would be making sure the guy's mouth was clean though! I don't want to pick up some disease from French kissing a guy. :sad:

knucklehead G said:
NonsenseTele said:
baskruit said:

Even if he didn't, that's a rock and roll moment.

Surely is... gotta have some guts to do it on a stage! I've not entered on braking all rules matter yet :) But I'd prefer a guitar than a kiss from a guy :)

line6man said:
If I were a fan of the band, I wouldn't mind it.

OTOH, my biggest concern would be making sure the guy's mouth was clean though! I don't want to pick up some disease from French kissing a guy. :sad:

Well, most of my guitar heros uses beard, what would be even weirder and traumatic, I believe...

Apriori/Mark said (11:15 AM):
you want to french kiss a guy
Joseph R.K. DeSimone says:
no!
Apriori/Mark says:
you posted it on the internet
so it's true forever now
ha
what I meant was, I wouldn't freak out if it happened
Apriori/Mark says:
when i saw them, he pulled up a guy from teh crowd to play an Op Ivy song
was it totally gay?
Apriori/Mark says:
not at all, sorry
ha
well, I just don't see French kissing a random dude as any different from the woman you love, it's the same damn thing
:doh:

Maybe Mark is secretly gay?
Who the hell cares, it's just a tongue. It's not like it will turn you gay or something. :tard: I wouldn't want to do it, but I wouldn't freak out if it happened to me.

Saw a simlar thing at a Linken Park gig a few years ago, got some kid up to play. Didn't get to keep the guitar though, thats just so cool to do that, I mean it's not like they can't easily replace the guitar within the tour budget, but that kid will be so made up. More bands should do this... hmmns, I wonder if I could get Gilmour to part with his 001 ;-)

I saw them during the American Idiot tour in Denver and they did the same thing. That was by far one of the coolest things I had seen a band do. The kids pretty much held there own.

i'm pretty fan removed from a greenday fan (anymore) but hats off for doing something badass! might have changed that kid's life. even if it was most likely a strat that billy joe had just met an hour before that. very cool.

i'd probably sell the damn thing, but thats cause im not a greenday fan, im sure if i went to see van halen back in the day and he gave me one of his kramers, i would probably own nothing else, and play nothing else the whole of my life :)

pabloman said:
The show I saw the guys gave away their signature models.

yeah, i would have figured it would have been his LP junior or whatever he plays. kind of surprised he had a strat, but people usually tour with a few different brands and i don't really keep up on endorsement deals at all.

Back