Saturday musings

TBurst Std

Well was playing around with an idea for a Thinline Tele. Walnut body, no inner bridge chamber, rear route with F hole,  an UC Walnut top. Controls I may drill myself and bridge I am pondering as I am thinking put a Bigsby on it.
Routed for 2 HBs and use Curtis Novack WRHBs that are reg HB sized.

Showed it to the wife and she was lets look at other tops. There is a light Pao Ferro top that is available that she loved and gave me immediate approval on to purchase.

Then the dilema,,,,,

She asked about the 2 other bodies I have for builds. A finished VIP body and an unfinished Tele body.

So some random Qs,,,

Thinline Tele body - was not offered a choice of belly cut and forearm cut

VIP body - I am stalled on this due to the neck.  I want a straight line pull and have yet to come up with the design for the W to cut to do this with 3x3 tuners. No drill press to drill my own holes on a paddle. Already have the tuners.

Tele body - finishing is the hold up. Need to reach out to Tonar. I know what I want it to look like.

Thoughts?

All great ideas. If it were me, I would focus on whatever I could finish first, so I could play whichever build sooner.  :guitaristgif:

TBurst Std said:
VIP body - I am stalled on this due to the neck.  I want a straight line pull and have yet to come up with the design for the W to cut to do this with 3x3 tuners. 

If you'd let up on the 3x3 headstock idea, you could do a Warhead, which I think looks more natural on a VIP to begin with. That'll get you straight-line string pulls without any goofing around.

Variax headstock? Always loved the look on a VIP! And if its not completely straight string pull then its pretty damn close!

Cagey said:
TBurst Std said:
VIP body - I am stalled on this due to the neck.  I want a straight line pull and have yet to come up with the design for the W to cut to do this with 3x3 tuners. 

If you'd let up on the 3x3 headstock idea, you could do a Warhead, which I think looks more natural on a VIP to begin with. That'll get you straight-line string pulls without any goofing around.
If I didnt already have the tuners,,,,,,,

JaySwear said:
Variax headstock? Always loved the look on a VIP! And if its not completely straight string pull then its pretty damn close!
Thats the W2 that was suggested. I could say forget absolute straight string pull.
But I would like it, and I have seen others desiring it as well. If I design one, I could then share it with others here.

Out of curiosity, I laid a loose nut on a loose Warmoth neck that I had tuners installed on and used a machinist's rule to see what the angle from the slots to the tuners would be. Turns out it's nothing to get one's shorts in a wad about. See here...

IMG_2697_Sm.JPG

IMG_2698_Sm.JPG

IMG_2699_Sm.JPG

They're not perfectly straight, but it's so close it's not worth agonizing over it. So, if it were me, I'd take the standard headstock rather than pay for a custom.

Cagey said:
Out of curiosity, I laid a loose nut on a loose Warmoth neck that I had tuners installed on and used a machinist's rule to see what the angle from the slots to the tuners would be. Turns out it's nothing to get one's shorts in a wad about. See here...

IMG_2697_Sm.JPG

IMG_2698_Sm.JPG

IMG_2699_Sm.JPG

They're not perfectly straight, but it's so close it's not worth agonizing over it. So, if it were me, I'd take the standard headstock rather than pay for a custom.
Many Thanks Cagey. I think I will just go with a W2 (Variax)
Seeing the URLs for your picks, that neck is rosewood?

TBurst Std said:
Many Thanks Cagey. I think I will just go with a W2 (Variax)
Seeing the URLs for your picks, that neck is rosewood?

Yes - Rosewood over Rosewood. It's an unusual piece. The Showcase identified it as Indian Rosewood/Indian Rosewood and the neck meat is just what you'd expect of a good piece of Rosewood, but the fretboard almost seems like a different species.

IMG_2703_Sm.JPG

It's very dense, like Ebony or Bloodwood, and the grain has a lot of character to it. I had some gold 6100s installed on it, and it's slated for an old PRS-style VIP I bought some time back and am still nibbling away at. Hopefully, I'll get it done this summer.

Back