Satisfaction!

tfarny

Master Member
This is the one that has really, truly relieved me of my GAS for a while...maybe!
solid mahogany / 5a flame maple top.
RW / black ebony neck, 24.75, '59 contour, 6130 frets (still waiting for ss6130, Gregg!). Pro construction, compound radius.
Dangerous plate, PW tuners, yadda yadda. Truss rod cover from Bryan England's custom inlay - ebony with MOP design.
SD jazz neck / Pearly Gates bridge, independent coil taps.

Body, hard case, and hardware came from a used LP sold on this board. Ebay'ed the parts I didn't want and ordered the ultimate neck for this rig. Ordered the neck in April, waited three months while they made two that weren't right for one reason or another (lots here know the story). Don't mind anymore because the neck is absolutely, totally, perfect.

She is heavy, solid, sustaining, substantial. Feels more like a les paul than any les pauls I've played in a long time.
Sound: The jazz is even better than I thought it would be - this is just a great, great neck pickup - fantastic clean and very articulate, also sounds great overdriven. Pearly Gates is okay - it sounds like it's supposed to, I guess. I'll probably swap it out eventually. The only coil tap position that's worth using at all, is the bridge hb / tapped neck combo - basically the PG sound with some more articulation and treble in there.

I love it! I hope it has been worth all the crap that happened to your neck order :)

Neat! I recognize that truss rod cover, I've been looking over their site but didn't get round to ordering yet. You like?

That's the money right there. Love it. Only thing I woulda done is a headstock veneer matching the fingerboard. This is a really nice build.

That is beautiful.  :icon_thumright:

What's wrong with the PG? I wasn't all that happy with my bridge pickup at first (SD Custom) but it's grown on me since. I had to mess around with the closeness to the strings a lot to get it to sound right to me.

Oh and the Jazz split coil should sound great on it's own with a clean tone - - mine does anyway. Wait a minute is it split or tapped? They're two different things aren't they?

GoDrex said:
Wait a minute is it split or tapped? They're two different things aren't they?

Kinda.  When we say tapped or split we generally mean half of a 4-conductor humbucker.

Technically a "tap" should be in the middle of a coil, not between two coils.  This means halfway through winding a single-coil pickup, you cut the wire, attach a lead to it, then attach a lead to the loose end of your spool of wire and keep winding.  These two leads are then like the 2 extra leads of a 4-conductor humbucker; for normal operation they should be connected, or to tap the pickup they should be grounded.  A "real" coil tap like this lets you cut the impedance of your pickup in half.  Which is of course exactly what you do when you "split" a humbucker... hence the fuzzy terminology. :tard:

Nobody really does it with single coils, so we know what we mean when we say "tap."

Thanks guys. The questions: yeah I like the truss rod cover, that company makes quality stuff. I have two of theirs. The PG is okay, I just feel like it isn't as 'full on' as I want it to be in this guitar. Like I said, it's a fine pup. Maybe I'll try a RG again at some point, or one of those Lollar 'imperials'. Maybe it'll grow on me. Yeah, the split jazz sounds okay too, but to me (in this guitar) it's kinda forgettable. Split jazz / PG non-split sounds good though.

The '59 neck shape feels so 'lp' to me - I don't think I could handle anything much thicker, but it's not really slowing me down (not that I'm very fast anyhow!). I definitely like this shape or the SRV the best.

Well, back to rocking out.

The only thing I'd change about Namib is to give it a '59 neck contour.  Enjoy :)

Beautiful Guitar! is the rosewood actually that purplish, or it's just the photo? Anyway looks great!
I know what you mean about the Jazz, it's amazing for bright cleans.

Back