Satin Nitro Black Korina Flamed Maple VIP

dmraco said:
metalman...you are making me wish I went a little darker...

Haha, Thanks man, I am still surprised (but super stoked) that I got the shade that I did, I was nervous about mixing black and amber, but it seemed to work!
I really dig your LPS, it's killer!!

Cool, good to see the knobs.  They look a little different than PRS... nice axe and thanks for the pix  :rock-on:

dmraco said:
post a shot of the back...I am interested on how the dye looks.

I'll take some shots of the back tomorrow, it's just all black, nothing exciting, it has a nice feel to it though, since I didn't fill the wood-grain. (that's what I was going for) If I use Black korina again for another build, I for sure am just going to use some type of oil, and let the black-korina figuring show through. for this guitar I just wanted a no-nonsense rocker.

I went the opposite of showing the korina...no finsh at all...just clear.  gotta love it.

I will say your fantastic satin finish is inspiring me.  I am looking for that next bargin on the screaming deals section to put a flat satin finish on.

dmraco said:
I went the opposite of showing the korina...no finsh at all...just clear.   gotta love it.

I will say your fantastic satin finish is inspiring me.  I am looking for that next bargin on the screaming deals section to put a flat satin finish on.

Thanks man, it was super simple, just waterbased dye, and Nitro

that thing looks AWESOME. makes me wish i had placed a VIP order. very VERY cool. how was the bridge set up? i've heard good and bad things about those, but i love the wrap around design. that thing looks like a PRS times 2. i'm very jealous.  :headbang1:

on a side note, when i placed my order (a soloist) i got a call back about 5 hours later, but missed it. they asked me to call them back on tuesday when they open back up. does that mean there might be a problem, or are they just confirming the order? i'm so anxious!

Thanks man! The bridge is amazing, I love it! I've had no issues with it at all. I'm actually about to pull the PRS pickups, I'm having a guy hand-wind me some awesome humbuckers.

How exactly did you dye it? I have a Narra body that is colored like Black Korina and I love the color of yours.

Scott

The top is flamed maple, the back is black korina, I dyed the back with regular waterbased dye from ACE hardware, and the top I dyed with black and amber from Stewmac. All I did was rub the waterbased dye on with an old t-shirt, let it dry, then rub on a few more times to get the shades I wanted, then sealed with the satin-nitro from guitar re-ranch. (I didn't want to fill the grain, I like the feel of the wood)

Did you mix the two? Or do the amber first then black? It almost looks like a burst the way it gets darker around the edges.
That finish is smokin!
Sorry for all the questions.

Scott

first 2 coats of black on the entire top,(black only) then repeated coats around the edge with more concentrate black for the burst effect, then I mixed very concentrate amber with some diluted black and put a few coats over the black.

still no pics of the back of it after so long?

What was the exact finishing process after dying? Just spray on the aerosol satin nitro? or did you use sanding sealer? How many cans. How many coats? Also, considering this is such an old thread, how has the finish held up over all this time?

Back