satin finish

Smpl9

i just received a tele neck that was supposed to have "clear satin nitro" finish. but it sure looks like it is raw. that is to say, no finish.

i have some guitars with satin finish and with no finish (raw) necks and this sure looks like it is raw.

a "clear satin nitro" finish is a clear coat, though not a glossy, yes?

Check for the presence of a red dot on the heel of the neck.  Apparenlty the satin nitro finish is so thin it's hard to detect - but the red dot is applied to all finished necks.  Or so I hear.

Bagman67 said:
Check for the presence of a red dot on the heel of the neck.  Apparenlty the satin nitro finish is so thin it's hard to detect - but the red dot is applied to all finished necks.  Or so I hear.

yes, the red dot is there. which i guess is a good sign?

i sure didn't realize how "thin" this coat was to be, especially compared to some "clear satin" fenders and gibsons i have. gee.

i had a raw neck that a local luthier here finished and put a sealer like oil to it and frankly i can't tell the difference between that neck and this new Warmoth "clear satin".  is the extra money and time really worth such a light coat?

anyways, before i put my foot in my mouth, i'll attach a few images to get another pair of eyes on this issue.

thanks

Attachments

• Warmoth-Tele-Neck-1.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 390
  • Warmoth-Tele-Neck-2.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 381
  • Warmoth-Tele-Neck-6.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 382
I've got the satin finish on my LP neck, and it looks and feels pretty raw. In my opinion, that's EXACTLY how a satin finish should be.  :icon_thumright:

Smpl9 said:
is the extra money and time really worth such a light coat?

To keep a wood that is not suitable to be played raw from warping, and from getting grimy, yes.

I know the satin finish you're talking about on the Fenders. I'm a huge lover of the satin finish and those Fender finishes always seemed cheap to me. The finish on those things are so thick it's not even funny. I too have a satin finish from Warmoth on my 2 strats and I love them. I can tell you this though, in time that satin finish is going to get real glossy and shiny on the areas that your thumb rubs up and down against all the time. You'd never guess that my white Strat is a satin finish by looking at the back of the neck. It's still satiny on the back of the head and at the heel but other than that it looks like a shiny glossy finish.
MULLY

Silk is specific for the gloss or absense of glow , in the laquer. It usually is in the laquer used 30, 60, 90 gloss used most often. greater the variety ,the more deficiency of a bright complete will result.Bench Scales|Prime Scales

SlartiBartfast said:
I've got the satin finish on my LP neck, and it looks and feels pretty raw. In my opinion, that's EXACTLY how a satin finish should be.  :icon_thumright:

if that is what its supposed to be, yeah i'm ok with it.

guess, i was thinking is should be like the Fender satin, but as another poster mentioned the Fender satin is really thick, not like gloss but still thick.

line6man said:
Smpl9 said:
is the extra money and time really worth such a light coat?

To keep a wood that is not suitable to be played raw from warping, and from getting grimy, yes.

i knew this, i just couldn't tell there actually is a "satin finish" it is so subtle. thats probably good though, feels like raw but has a coat of protection.

mullyman said:
I know the satin finish you're talking about on the Fenders. I'm a huge lover of the satin finish and those Fender finishes always seemed cheap to me. The finish on those things are so thick it's not even funny. I too have a satin finish from Warmoth on my 2 strats and I love them. I can tell you this though, in time that satin finish is going to get real glossy and shiny on the areas that your thumb rubs up and down against all the time. You'd never guess that my white Strat is a satin finish by looking at the back of the neck. It's still satiny on the back of the head and at the heel but other than that it looks like a shiny glossy finish.
MULLY

this is my first "warmoth satin finish". others were raw and one gloss(won't do that again).  nope, i wouldn't have guessed it would get more shiny. good to know though

glad you folks chimed in and educated me on this. the mahogany sure feels smooth even if i can't tell there is a "finish" on it. ;-)

Smpl9 said:
mullyman said:
MULLY

this is my first "warmoth satin finish". others were raw and one gloss(won't do that again).  nope, i wouldn't have guessed it would get more shiny. good to know though

glad you folks chimed in and educated me on this. the mahogany sure feels smooth even if i can't tell there is a "finish" on it. ;-)

Here ya go, take your fingernail and scratch over one of the frets. If anything flakes off then you know the finish is on there. It's going to flake off once you start string bending anyway so scraping a little with your fingernail won't hurt anything.
MULLY

mullyman said:
Smpl9 said:
mullyman said:
MULLY

Here ya go, take your fingernail and scratch over one of the frets. If anything flakes off then you know the finish is on there. It's going to flake off once you start string bending anyway so scraping a little with your fingernail won't hurt anything.
MULLY
Except rosewood doesn't get finish applied, so that doesn't work in this situation.

Smpl9 said:
SlartiBartfast said:

if that is what its supposed to be, yeah i'm ok with it.

guess, i was thinking is should be like the Fender satin, but as another poster mentioned the Fender satin is really thick, not like gloss but still thick.

Yeah, the Fender satin may be top of the line, I have no idea, just that from my eyes I don't like it. It looks cheap, for lack of a better term. It's so thick you can actually see the space between the top of the finish and the bottom, especially around the edges of the fingerboard. I just looked at the photos you posted, again, and it looks like what I would expect a Warmoth satin finish to look like. Probably feels great too.

mullyman said:
... Probably feels great too.

absolutely!! i originally asked for raw mahogany but their rep emailed an explanation of why this wood should at least get the satin. like best of both worlds for this type.

i put the schaller tuners in tonite and i can see my fingernail marks on the headstock at viewing angles. used my fingers to lightly tighten them at first. not a big deal, like who gives a hoot really. just saying

i'm diggin it though.

Back