Satin Finish tore from drilling?

NoOne

I started installation on my first Warmoth yesterday, and drilled my first holes for the tremolo cover. I noticed today that the satin finish around those holes is coming apart. You can see it am the imgur link

https://imgur.com/9o6Ixdy

Was I running my drill to slow? I was nervous my bit would wander so I started it slower than full speed. If I start it faster would it prevent this? What do I need to do for the pickguard, jack plate, and strap drills to prevent this?

Also, to keep them from spreading, can I cover them with super glue? Not the best looking, but it's on the back and covered. I don't want that propogating.

Thanks for any help!

NoOne said:
I started installation on my first Warmoth yesterday, and drilled my first holes for the tremolo cover. I noticed today that the satin finish around those holes is coming apart. You can see it am the imgur link

https://imgur.com/9o6Ixdy

Was I running my drill to slow? I was nervous my bit would wander so I started it slower than full speed. If I start it faster would it prevent this? What do I need to do for the pickguard, jack plate, and strap drills to prevent this?

Also, to keep them from spreading, can I cover them with super glue? Not the best looking, but it's on the back and covered. I don't want that propogating.

Thanks for any help!

For a small hole like that you do want a higher speed, but I'm thinking that possibly the drill bit is not sharp enough. To keep the drill from wandering use a sharp pointed tool like a center punch to put a dimple for the drill bit to start in. You could use C/A (superglue) to fill in the chipped parts. Take one of the screws and coat the threads with wax or soap, thread it into the hole a little bit. This will keep glue from getting in the hole. Then VERY carefully put glue into the part where the finish is missing, try not to get it onto the undamaged finish. You basically just want to fill in the chipped out part. It doesn't take much so be sparring with it. Better to do two coats than get too much all over. Good luck with it. Check back if your not sure about things.

Thanks,

I'm not quite sure about where the finish is missing though. It seems to me like it actually separated from the wood, and not actually chipped off. So would the glue go around the where the finish is separated? Would that even help?

NoOne said:
Thanks,

I'm not quite sure about where the finish is missing though. It seems to me like it actually separated from the wood, and not actually chipped off. So would the glue go around the where the finish is separated? Would that even help?

I had some extra time just now so I took a closer look and I think your right. The finish appears to have lifted around the holes. I'm thinking now that you might be better to leave it alone for the time being and see if anything further develops. As you said it's hidden under the cover so it's not unsightly. It might just be one of those times when anything that's done will only make it look worse.

You might be interested in this. It helped me a lot.  One note, if you do use this method. Never wipe at the CA glue when its wet, it will spread beyond where you want it.  I've done this, it is not a pretty thing.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/cFaaIN3RNxI[/youtube]

Bummer! Have you put screws in those holes? I have had seemingly perfect holes do exactly that when screws are installed for the first time. It is for that reason that I always always countersink (by hand) screw holes with a conical grinding stone before putting the screws in. For what it is worth, where I have had this happen it did not spread...

Photo%20Oct%2024%2C%2012%2017%2018%20PM.jpeg

I had a little tiny bit of lift after putting in my Warmoth strat's pickguard. I didn't see it until I had the guard off to do some electronic work. I just didn't know it would do this. Will it just keep coming? What can be done after the fact? Can I still use a countersink bit to fix it? Any advice for that?

Attachments

• 22116329-F787-4BEC-8A70-5E4DB7BC28A9.png
    22116329-F787-4BEC-8A70-5E4DB7BC28A9.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 141
I have noticed that the satin finish does seem to, I don't know if this is the correct term but, chip easier than the non-satin finish.

I've not scientifically tested this.

Anyone ever think about trying one of those old-school hand-cranked drills?  I'm wondering if having very gentle speed and pressure, with a sharp bit, might help make a clean cut with less risk.

For that matter, can anyone recommend a specific brand/model of bit that's super sharp for fine wood working?  The last set of Bosch bits I got in a general purpose set are fine for crap around the house, but I know they're not super sharp.

I like the superglue idea for repairs.  But you don't want it on top of the finish, you want to apply it to the inside edge of the hole.  That way it wicks under the finish where it lifted, and glues it down to the wood.  That should also eliminate the cloudiness in the finish.

It doesn't actually hurt to get CA into the screw hole.  In fact, that's a trick that I use to reinforce screw holes:  Flood them with thin CA.  It wicks into the wood, the wood fibers soak it up, and end up harder and more durable.  I've used this trick many times with MDF or plywood on speaker cabinets, when I've had to uninstall/reinstall the driver multiple times.  Just be sure you DON'T install the screws until the CA has thoroughly dried, probably overnight.

Back