Rush

Check this out:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnrT5KOwTv4[/youtube]

compare that to this one:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB6sRQQBH6E&feature=related[/youtube]

Brings back memories of when Rush were a Blue Cheer/Sabbath wannabe band.  Glad they headed in their own direction.  The reggae-intro'd version from 2010 is fun.

They helped me out tremendously, because my next youngest brother was a drummer back when they first started out, and between Neil Peart and Alex Lifeson, we were on a mission. Not only was the band great, but Danny became not just a drummer but a percussionist, following in Neil's footsteps. He practiced about 53 hours a day, so I had a built-in complex metronome to play with that loved the same music I did. Drove my dad nuts to the point where he built what he hoped was going to be a sound-proof room in the basement for us to play in. Of course, it's difficult to hold drums back, so the room failed overall in its primary mission - to make us completely inaudible - but was at least an improvement over playing in the free air of the basement proper.

Danny had a natural talent for percussion and some excellent teachers, and so made great strides. That went on for several years until one day he decided he would rather play guitar. Sold off everything and bought a Fender Twin, an ES-325, and a junk car. To say it was a great disturbance in the force would be a massive understatement. Millions of souls cried out in despair. This was 30+ years ago, and people we know still bitch about it <grin>

Naturally, his guitar playing improved tremendously over the years and he's easy to listen to now, but he really was a true natural when it came to percussion. Guy was like an octopus with a brain dedicated to each limb.

He's got a basement full of exercise machines now that he and his wife are pretty religious about pouring sweat out over, and about six months ago I reminded him of how he had to practically play naked to let all the sweat run off back when he was deep into drums, so he ought to get back into that if for no other reason than the exercise. I may have hit on something there, because he's mentioned more than once now about getting another drum set, only syndrums this time so nobody has to tolerate all that percussion. I hope he does it.

Working Man and the polka version of Closer to the Heart.
from the VH1 showing lastnight.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzprTFzfZ58[/youtube]

AndyG said:
Rush has only had one member change in their professional history ... the drummer on the first album was a guy named John Rutsy.  Neil Peart joined for Fly By Night, and the rest is history.  I agree that the band would not be the same if anyone left, but Alex Lifeson's "solo" project, a band called Victor, sounded somewhat like Rush.  Neil wrote a book as his "solo project", and the only outside projects that I know of that Geddy Lee ever did were his lead vocal on Bob and Doug MacEnzie's "Take Off", and his involvement in the Northern Lights song "Tears are Not Enough".

Rusty just passed away this past year too if memory serves.  Rust's sister is Geddy's wife, so even though was out of Rush, Geddy's and he have been around each other over the years.

MikeW said:
Geddy did a great solo album called My Favorite Headache. It sounds like Rush in the same way that Alex's solo project sounded like Rush. But when you consider that the two solo projects are by the two members of the band that write the music... Makes sense.

It's funny, my primary instrument is bass, and Geddy is part of a three-headed monster with Tony Levin and John Paul Jones of bassists I liberally crib from aspire to play like, but man do I dislike My Favourite Headache, and I absolutely love the Victor record.  Alex is definitely the stronger lyricist of the two, and he had some great singers on the Victor record - I think Sebastian Bach actually sang on most if not all of the demos, but none of his performances made the final cut - I feel bad for the guy, but I'm glad, because Edwin from the band I Mother Earth wound up singing on the majority of the songs, and I really love his voice.  Geddy's disc felt more like a "getting the dust off" record than something with concrete ideas, whereas Alex's record happened around the time of Test For Echo, so he was probably in a period where he had a surprlus of ideas.

I agree with the statement that Alex doesn't play what is always expected. When you're learning some of his solos, you expect a part or two to be quirky either in fingering or phrasing. I love the lead in Limelight, for example, but it isn't the way that I would have phrased it. Still, there's no doubt of the genius behind it.

Yeah, exactly - I think the quirkiness of Alex's playing in terms of some really odd phrasing in the middle of a flight of the bumblebee scale run is his appeal - I'm torn between Freewill, Limelight, and Analog Kid for my favorite Alex solo, they're al so distinctly "him."

Rush fan #3 checking in!!
Grab a little energy from this...
http://www.creativeboneartworks.com/paintingsPeart.htm

tomnoll said:
Rush fan #3 checking in!!
Grab a little energy from this...
http://www.creativeboneartworks.com/paintingsPeart.htm

Nice. Now if you had one of Alex that would fit on my rec room wall...

see, lots of rush fans!  all go way back, my first purchase was hemispheres on 8 track, 1977  the 1984 rush was  no doubter for 1st concert at joe louis arena, detroit mi..( home of many, many great rockers/ music artists ). :rock-on:
not a mention of triumph...another fine maple leaf trio! :party07:

coolest thing on beyond dvd... the inside cover in black and white, " rush rocks Plymouth MI... "  is where i live. ( from a cobo hall show, 70's).

When I first became interested in rock music, I really didn't care for Rush at all--Geddy's voice sounded so screechy to me. It wasn't til I entered college and wound up listening to Rush at a buddy's place when I was ston....ummmm had some external help to give me some insight I wouldn't have normally seen under normal circumstances. I gave it a re-listen a few days later and was floored at the fact that there were so many layers of sound coming out of a simple three-piece operation. I have spent a lot of time listening to three-piece acts (ZZ Top, Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble, Rory Gallagher pre-"Blueprint" and post-"Calling Card"), and none of them could get the depth that Rush could. Another thing that helped was when I was working as a computer repair technician at my university, and began listening to Q107 out of Toronto via the internet, and I had the chance to hear Rush songs that weren't so much international hits as regional hits, such as "Red Barchetta" and "YYZ," which wouldn't see routine airplay in the States.

Speaking of Q107, one of the people featured in the "Beyond" documentary was Kim Mitchell, formerly of Max Webster, and Q107's afternoon DJ.

Rush is one of my all time favorite bands.  Every time I learn a Rush song I steal I am inspired by something that Alex is doing.  The documentary is really good, notice that Alex has no allegiance to anyone kind of guitar- through the years he's played all sorts of instruments.  Granted he has gone back to Gibson but it is cool how open minded he has been through the years.

Back