Ruined with Precision, non-Warmoth content

Day-mun said:
Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Everyone wants a connection to an instrument...Before I did that stuff to it, it was too new, too glossy. Very un me.

I think you hit the nail on the head as to why EVERY ONE OF US DO THIS GUITAR-BUILDING THING AT ALL!
+1

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
More than any criticism of what should've been done different, or not done at all, the worst assault to my ears is, "I have one just like that. "
This is why I'm here.

I like the layout and router work photos and all the improvement mods. My only suggestion...strip the thick Fender finish and nitro the body.

I do not think there is a right way to go relics.  I hate the guys taking razor blades to $4000 Gibsons to emulate checking.  However, I do appreciate the relic process to a point.

Here is my attempt.  I sprayed a simple burst on a Les Paul jr. (Precision)  Please ignore the logo  :laughing8:  with my choice of color it is obvious this is not meant to passed off as a real Gib$0n.  I then only sprayed 2 coats of clear.  I played for a bit and took note of where my hands, strap and arm hit.  Then out came the steel wool.  I figured less this more here.  The finish is so thin it will wear quickly.  Next step is to distress the hardware a bit.

I put a few nicks on the back and called it a day.

Funny thing is I had a guy at a guitar show offer me over $1000 for it.  I pointed out the color, my own serial number, as well as the gold frets....he did not care.  I guess I should have took the cash and run!

20150307_092011_zpsp9ncc9ju.jpg

20150307_091943_zpszahchyxd.jpg

20150307_092042_zpsjkdggepy.jpg

DMRACO said:
I do not think there is a right way to go relics.  I hate the guys taking razor blades to $4000 Gibsons to emulate checking.  However, I do appreciate the relic process to a point.

Here is my attempt.  I sprayed a simple burst on a Les Paul jr. (Precision)  Please ignore the logo  :laughing8:  with my choice of color it is obvious this is not meant to passed off as a real Gib$0n.  I then only sprayed 2 coats of clear.  I played for a bit and took note of where my hands, strap and arm hit.  Then out came the steel wool.  I figured less this more here.  The finish is so thin it will wear quickly.  Next step is to distress the hardware a bit.

I put a few nicks on the back and called it a day.

Funny thing is I had a guy at a guitar show offer me over $1000 for it.  I pointed out the color, my own serial number, as well as the gold frets....he did not care.  I guess I should have took the cash and run!

20150307_092011_zpsp9ncc9ju.jpg

20150307_091943_zpszahchyxd.jpg

20150307_092042_zpsjkdggepy.jpg
You did this one right. I like the subtle effect of aging you gave it. So often, relic jobs look like they've been dragged behind a truck for a while. Compliments on this one.

Since we're showing pic of distressed projects, I'll share a few shots of my "worn" sonic blue P-bass. The finish is so fragile on this guy, it practically started relicing itself (-think there was a thread a ways back about W's sonic blue stuff being pretty chippy compared to the other solid colors).

Rather than use steel wool, I used a Mr. Clean magic eraser; Steel wool, -even 0000, would have been too harsh IMO. It then went a few rounds with some car-keys, a wire coat hanger, and a few heavy set-downs on the garage floor, and the finish was done... wiped it down with brown shoe polish and then cleaned off (to leave some "grime" in the dents & nicks). Next the hardware took a trip through an acid vapor "time-machine", and the plastic knobs and 'covers got their mojo workin' with some dark-roast java in the basket of an auto-drip coffee maker.

Attachments

• DSCN2150.JPG
    DSCN2150.JPG
    268.1 KB · Views: 332
  • DSCN2154.JPG
    DSCN2154.JPG
    235.1 KB · Views: 293
Back