Rosewood (indian) neck: no finish . . . add danish oil?

buckallred

Hi, I am ordering an indian rosewood neck, unfinished.

I read somewhere that, even with a no-finish-required neck like rosewood, it's a good idea to wipe on some danish oil (or similar) as a general protectant.

Any reason not to do this? All input is appreciated, as always.

I can think of only one reason: to enhance the grain. rosewood is very oily of itself, it won't do you any good except estheatics.

I'd just use a little lemon oil.  That's what I did for my Canary neck.  Essentially I treated the neck like I would a fingerboard.

I wouldnt do it because you'll lose the great feel of the raw rosewoood. It doesn't need anything, don't worry. I have two of them, once I put some fingerboard oil on them, which basically had no effect.

This topic is 10+ years old today (7-12-2021).

However, I'm opening it back up because there is a critical piece of information missing that none of the initial responders addressed.

"Hi, I am ordering an indian rosewood neck, unfinished."

Is it SOLID rosewood?
Probably not.
So if not...................

Let's assume that the fingerboard is rosewood, and the back is maple.
So, if true, do the same responses still apply?
My guess is that they do not.

My understanding:
Certain woods like rosewood do not require a finish because they have natural oils in them.

If the back of the neck is maple and is unfinished, then according to Warmoth's warranty rules the maple portion needs to have a hard finish.

True?

Note: On the old website, it said that about 10% of the unfinished necks would suffer from warping and probably be unplayable.
My unedumacated opinion is that unless you live in a VERY humid climate, or are showering with your guitar, or you are using your neck as a canoe paddle, an unfinished neck will probably be fine.
It will probably get dirty/stained from handling, but will not warp.

ejm said:
This topic is 10+ years old today (7-12-2021).

However, I'm opening it back up because there is a critical piece of information missing that none of the initial responders addressed.

"Hi, I am ordering an indian rosewood neck, unfinished."

Is it SOLID rosewood?
Probably not.
So if not...................

Let's assume that the fingerboard is rosewood, and the back is maple.
So, if true, do the same responses still apply?
My guess is that they do not.

My understanding:
Certain woods like rosewood do not require a finish because they have natural oils in them.

If the back of the neck is maple and is unfinished, then according to Warmoth's warranty rules the maple portion needs to have a hard finish.

True?

Note: On the old website, it said that about 10% of the unfinished necks would suffer from warping and probably be unplayable.
My unedumacated opinion is that unless you live in a VERY humid climate, or are showering with your guitar, or you are using your neck as a canoe paddle, an unfinished neck will probably be fine.
It will probably get dirty/stained from handling, but will not warp.

Personally I wouldn't refer to a maple neck with a rosewood fretboard as a "rosewood neck" but I guess some people might.  :dontknow:

Yes, maple necks need a finish. While a danish oil finish would probably be fine protection wise,  oil finishes like that aren't considered "hard finishes" by Warmoth and wouldn't qualify for warranty purposes. I'm not really sure why, but that seems to be the rule.

I haven't had any experience with necks warping, but all of mine are woods that don't require a finish.

Back