Rosewood fingerboards shown wet?

line6man

Epic Member
I noticed that some of the Rosewood fingerboards on the gallery are "shown wet to reveal figure"
Why are they showing the wood wet, when Rosewood is almost always left raw?
Of course, there is lemon oil and such, but not everyone uses it.
Am i missing an obvious point somewhere?

I have always used olive oil.  It really darken the grain and does not dry as fast as lemon.

A little EVOO never hurts!!!!

dmraco said:
I have always used olive oil.  It really darken the grain and does not dry as fast as lemon.

A little EVOO never hurts!!!!

:icon_scratch:  Doesn't it get all greasy and smelly? (Wait, that sounded really dirty)

no...not all all.  I do it every time I change the strings.  I let it set and soak in for a couple of hours...or overnight...wipe residue with a clean rag...install strings and done.

When I apply the oil I usually dip a finger in the oil and apply to the fret board, rubbing it in as I go.

I do the same thing for my rosewood and ebony fretboards. :icon_thumright:

Well, i don't know about you guys, but i am sticking to lemon oil for Rosewood.
I have a bottle of Lemon oil with a felt applicator tip that just rubs straight onto the board. It does the job and no mess.

I like the stewmac fretboard conditioner or just pure linseed oil.  Once or twice a year usually.

My neck is completely raw. I haven't even used any oils what so ever on it, though i'm thinking about that bottle of tung oil.................

Once a year at most with whatever oil you use - too much oil can cause the wood to swell and eventually push your frets up. Somebody had pictures of that a while back.

I wouldn't use olive oil because it is organic, nor would I use lemon oil unless it was pure, because they contain detergents. The best, and most cost effective oil for the annual oiling is mineral oil.  The kind your wife uses for the chopping block or the kind your grandmother uses as a laxative.  you can get a quart of the stuff cheap at the drugstore.

Rick said:
nor would I use lemon oil unless it was pure, because they contain detergents.

You mean silicone?

I use this stuff:

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dunlop-Fretboard-65-Ultimate-Lemon-Oil?sku=425264

Don't use tung oil, it will polymerize and ruin the raw feeling of the neck.  Don't use olive oil, it can spoil.  Just use mineral oil (or lemon-flavored mineral oil aka lemon oil).

Rick said:
You can ingest mineral oil.
Mineral oil is fine, but my bottle of Lemon oil says:

"CAUTION: KEEP AWAY FROM CHILDREN. DO NOT SWALLOW. If swallowed, do not induce vomiting. This product may irritate preexisting skin wounds. If contact occurs with eyes, flush with water for at least 15 minutes. If irritation persists, consult a physician."

Lemon oil is probably not healthy to drink.  You can go to Walgreens and buy pure mineral oil, though, and you can drink that all day long if you want.  It will just make you poop a lot.

Back