ROSE

There's a lot of different sleds out there alright I think you will have more control with that
approach. I wouldn't concentrate on the neck pocket being parallel, but the last place to remove wood is the back of the control cavity.

I think the plan will be to try to level the center piece front & back, then do the best I can to blend the outer wings in to something that looks OK and is playable. I'm hoping that I can make it work. Worst case, I'll take the top down a half inch and put on a new top. But I REALLY don't want to do that.

If this was the neck, I'd be worried. More than worried; I'd be using it for firewood or a dog's chew toy. But, an electric guitar's body flatness isn't critical. A slight warp isn't going to affect its setup, playability, tuneability, tone or aesthetics. I'm guessing if you'd never checked it in the first place, you'd never have known about this "problem". If you keep obsessing about this, you're going to end up doing a helluva lotta work to correct something that doesn't need correcting.

I still say don't touch it. Pretend it's perfect, and proceed with whatever finishing/assembly work you had planned. It'll rock.

Thanks Cagey. But I have to disagree. 3/16" in 12" is not slight in my eyes.
I have enough guitars around that I can take my time with this one and at least try to do it right.

Ok. Far be it from me to stand in the way of perfection. Lord knows I demand it in my work. But, there's such a thing as diminishing returns, so you have to be careful that you don't get carried away with things that matter little or not at all. It's often a tough spot to identify on your own, so I'm bitching from the outside to make you think. I wish you nothing but the best, and if I can help I will.

Cagey, Please don't take offence. I respect your opinion way too much to want to do anything to make you mad. But I put these things together for the fun of it. Usually it takes me a year just to get all the parts for 1 guitar in the same pile. Not because I can't just run out and buy everything at once but because I enjoy the hunt.
I know that when my guitars are complete they aren't going to be incredible; I just hope they will be above average. So I try my best to buy what I think are good quality parts, then try not to screw anything up when I assemble them.
Sometimes, as is the case with this body, I make bad decisions and end up with a p.o.s. When that happens I have to either make it into a fertilizer, or try to make it work. Fortunately I have the time to spare on this, so I can wait until summer to see if I can fix it. I can always throw a finish on it and get rid of if it doesn't work out, but I'd rather not.
You are probably right that I am being too picky. I mean, I almost never lay a guitar down on a flat hard surface without something soft under it to protect it. So I doubt that anyone would notice that the back rocked like my mother's favorite knitting chair. But I would know!
And I would also know that I or anyone else could go to Costco and get a better deal for under a buck fifty.  If I can't do at least as well as an Asian tele then, I would be better off tying flies. And I already have tons of flies.
AND I bought that sweet little canary/ebony neck to go with my maple/ash tele body that was built by a very reputable company and should keep me busy until the snow melts.
So please feel free to offer advice and criticism as you feel fit. But try to understand that just getting it done is not always the goal.
:rock-on:

No offense taken. I understand and respect attention to detail, especially when it comes to guitars. I guess my point was that you can pick up a $5,000 Martin and find a flaw if you look hard enough, so you have to be sure you're drawing the line at the right point. If a some flaw is more than you can bear, you have no choice but to make it go away. It's just wood, after all. You being an apex predator at the top of the food chain, it has to do what you say <grin>

Back