"rose"wood

vtpcnk

i've seen some rosewood furniture where the rose/pink colour just shined through.

but i've never seen it on a fretboard - including the brazilian rosewood fretboard of my warmoth conversion neck.

but i can notice the pink tint on my les paul jr special plus's fretboard.

what gives?

dbw

Rosewood is not really rose colored... I think it's called rosewood because it smells good.  I've never seen a rosewood fingerboard I'd describe as pink, but the color varies a lot (as you can see in the showcase).

vtpcnk

>Rosewood is not really rose colored...

i guess you have not seen the old furniture i have seen nor the fretboard on my lp jr special plus.

vtpcnk

my lp jr special plus is along with my warmoth jazzmaster in the flickr pool - but you can't expect the "rose" to show in a pic.

NonsenseTele

Rosewood is a wrong name by some idiot, the portuguese name is Jacarandá (what I don't know what mean is probably from a indian language), the translation of Rosewood = Pau Rosa, I think we have a wood called it, but it's no where near rosewood...

Some rosewood can be redish/pinkish, specially Malagosy, but it's normally brown, dark or light... can have some colorated lines, red, purple.....

Wana_make_a_guitar

The rosewood n my neck has red (I guess you could say pink) streaks in it you can see.

And i thought the smell of the rosewood when I got it out of the box was disgusting, now it's smells great.

NonsenseTele

Wana's_makin'_a_guitar said:
The rosewood n my neck has red (I guess you could say pink) streaks in it you can see.

And i thought the smell of the rosewood when I got it out of the box was disgusting, now it's smells great.

Strikes was the word that I was trying to put on my post :)

Weird, the smell of rosewood is amazing!

dbw

vtpcnk said:
>Rosewood is not really rose colored...

i guess you have not seen the old furniture i have seen nor the fretboard on my lp jr special plus.

I guess not :)

G

guitlouie

I'm no expert, but I do know that there are a variety of woods that all seem to fall under the name 'Rosewood".  I could be that the Rosewood you have seen made into furniture is a very different wood from what the fretboard in question is made of.  Also the comment before about there being quite a variety of hues of Rosewood could explain some of this.  Also, I am thinking that the furniture described probably has a finish on it, whereas the fretboard probably does not, and adding a finish to a wood, even a "clear" finish will bring out, or tone down certain hues.  Like I said, I'm no expert, and there is a great deal of conjecture in my argument here!  :)

NonsenseTele

Mainly because they're from the same biologic family: Dalbergia...
BR is Dalbergia Nigra
Kingwood is Dalbergia Cearensis
Indian is Dalbergia Latifola
Palisander is Dalbergia Baroni
.... Should be million more Dalbergias :laughing7: