Roasted Maple really does smell good

Jet-Jaguar

So earlier, (I think it was on facebook) a Warmoth employee wrote about how they had a bunch of Roasted Maple necks in the shop, and they smelled good.  I thought it was just a metaphor, like when that wrestler (now actor) says "can you smell what the Rock is cooking?" But yesterday, I received a roasted maple neck, and you know what?  They really do smell good.  Kinda like pancakes with maple syrup.

I imagine it's gonna fade after time, but for now it's nice.

I have heard this too.  I just ordered a roasted maple strat neck.  Very pumped.

Ace Flibble said:
Ah right, that would explain it. Studios, unsurprisingly, get slightly lower-quality rosewood than Standards, and in some production years they have had larger frets, too. Dodgy frets on a Standard, at any time of year, is extremely rare, but dodgy frets on a Studio isn't quite as uncommon.

i think this was meant for another thread....the one on fret ends?

I just thought of something: I ordered my neck custom, and it was probably just cut. I wonder if factor in getting the smell.

It was I who talked on Facebook (and elsewhere) about Roasted Maple smelling like delicious maple pancakes.

I would never lie to you guys.

It's just not in my nature.  :icon_thumright:

Being the owner of two roasted maple warmoth necks, I can very much vouch for the delicious maple smell. 

Sadly however, the smell does in fact fade over time.

Mayfly said:
Being the owner of two roasted maple warmoth necks, I can very much couch for the delicious maple smell. 

Sadly however, the smell does in fact fade over time.

time to get out the sand paper....

Yup. Not sure about Warmoth's, not had one from them, but every roasted neck & roasted body I've had from other companies has smelt very strongly of heather honey.

It does fade off, I must report. It lasts a little longer than the marzipan smell of a new Gibson—seriously, if you've never owned a Gibson, go try some out and if they're new enough, smell them, it's amazing—but it's still gone by the one year mark. Depends how much use it gets, I reckon, as well as the nature of your skin's oils and the environment it's kept in.

Ace Flibble said:
It lasts a little longer than the marzipan smell of a new Gibson—seriously, if you've never owned a Gibson, go try some out and if they're new enough, smell them, it's amazing—

I love that smell.  Better than new car. Kepp the gibson in the case and it last longer

Roasted maple is exactly that. Maple wood that has been roasted. Of course the wood is going to smell nice.

You can remove your own posts individually if you'd like. There's a link in the upper right hand corner of your message. Or, I can do it if you prefer.

I still remember when I got home with my roasted maple neck. My apartment smelled of it for several days. It was practically intoxicating. I still get a bit of it if I get close to the thing and inhale. I had doubted the story of the smell of roasted maple until I got one.  :laughing7:

Back