Roasted Maple Necks now available for custom order.

aarontunes

Somewhere in the middle of nowhere.
Staff member
Roasted Maple is now an available option on Warmoth Pro and Super Bass necks.

Attachments

• roasted-maple-custom.jpg
    roasted-maple-custom.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 519
It is indeed in the builder.

Just in time for my 80's shredder project. [:D]

orangestrat.jpg

slp205a.jpg

24 frets - no inlays. Floyd Rose R4 nut.

So should the headstock be a Strat, CBS Strat, Angled Strat, Arcade or Slapshot?

Not too much of a premium over standard maple on the price ($40) which is good!  Is it quartersawn like the show case necks or is that something that can be called in?

"Roast" is a process, not a type of wood. It would make more sense if it was offered as an additional service to every type of maple.

the 'roasting' is performed on rough lumber planks in an autoclave, and not on bodies/necks during or after the construction phase. as such, it is not a 'service' that a parts manufacturer can offers since they purchase the lumber in its finish roasted form.

elgravos said:
Not too much of a premium over standard maple on the price ($40) which is good!  Is it quartersawn like the show case necks or is that something that can be called in?

Only $40??? That's like nothing. Fancy inlays cost like 90 or something.

I'm totally new to this roasted thing, haven't heard of it like until a few weeks ago, but I'm all for new inventions (if it is even new?) that makes guitars better, in every way. I would totally love a roasted neck with stainless frets and Evertune.  :toothy12: :toothy10:

But I guess it would give the most benefit to a Floyd Rose equipped guitar, right?

I have it on several guitars and it's amazing. Love roasted maple. Roasted ash, too.

Roast it long enough and it all turns to ash. Seriously. I've not been extremely interested till now. But unfinished maple for $40.. Anyone like pancakes?

I've kind of ignored this trend until this thread.
Just so I understand, does roasted maple still require a finish, or does the roasting accomplish the same thing that the finish does as far as sealing the maple from "moving" further?

We are offering the 2 year warranty on unfinished roasted maple just like the exotics and the finished maple necks. In working with this maple it appears to be very stable. A finish can be added if one so desires but just to reiterate a finish is not required for warranty.

sounds like W's roasted wood supplier provided the same tech details as my supplier provided to me

what I prefer best is to sand to 1200, apply a "sanding sealer type of product" to highlight the figure and color, re-sand with 1200 after cure, and then sand to one grit finer to polish it up.

since I brand my headstocks with a logo, I finish the headstock with a gloss spray finish before applying the "sanding sealer type of product" to the remainder of the neck.

multiple RGW roasted necks have been all across the US and crossed vary diverse climates during their peak differences. to date all I have received is praise for how well the necks behave

ymmv

Red Rocks said:
We are offering the 2 year warranty on unfinished roasted maple just like the exotics and the finished maple necks. In working with this maple it appears to be very stable. A finish can be added if one so desires but just to reiterate a finish is not required for warranty.

Thanks Sean.

In terms of reshaping the headstocks, taking "a bit off the shoulders" of a boatneck etc., is this stuff actually a bit easier to work with than pre-toastee maple due to the drier resins? Seems like it might be. (Need I add I WORRY zilch about "violating" the warranty as such. It's a nice gesture but ME SAWZ'R HONGRY... :glasses10:)

How about fretless bass fingerboards, flatwound strings OF COURSE?

haven't used it on a fingerboard yet, so I have no comment

I will say that it's more brittle that the unvulcanized wood was originally. tools need to be sharp, and router tear outs when routing can be more significant if you don't know how to read the grain and climb cut where necessary

I have a Gibson Melody Maker with a roasted Maple fretboard, and I like it. It has the tight grain of Maple, but no finish. Kinda like playing on Ebony.

So I was on the warmoth site poking around, and lo and behold this was there:

TN6882A.jpg

It was exactly what I specified as my ideal roasted maple neck on the other thread - tele, 22 frets, 1 11/16, boatneck, black dots...

So I bought it.

....bastards...

Those Warmoth rascals should be ashamed of themselves! Such enablers! Don't they know you have a disease? G.A.S. is no laughing matter.

Back